Losing yourself in a movie or a book is the best. It’s a total immersion experience where the rest of your life dissolves in a puddle of to-do lists and dentist appointments. For a true disguise this Halloween, check out this spectacular collection of DIY movie and book character costumes.
There are so many different genres of movies and books, but what they all share is the desire to transport the viewer to another realm. They will sweep you away from real life into the movie planet where anything is possible.
In addition, discover the coolest instructions in order to construct your own homemade movie and book character costumes. Even better, get inspiration here from the amazing costume creators here to come up with your own DIY costume design.
The only limit is your imagination! So delve into the world of make believe and be amazed what you can accomplish.
Latest Book and Movie Character Costumes
- Cool Homemade Cousin Itt Costume for HalloweenCousin Itt was always one of my favorite characters in the Addams Family TV series. I really wanted to do … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Queen of Hearts Halloween CostumeThis is my Queen of Hearts costume created this year for a gala dinner at a crafting weekend away. It … Read more
- Unique Castaway Couple CostumeMy boyfriend and I wanted to come up with a really creative and unique couple’s costume that we have never … Read more
- Original DIY Costume Idea for a Boy: Captain of the TitanicWhen I asked my six year old son, Ethan, what he wanted to be for Halloween this year, it came … Read more
- Awesome Family of Six Alice in Wonderland Group CostumeAs a family of 6 who all love Halloween, I typically begin planning our Halloween costumes a year before Halloween … Read more
- Cool Homemade Oola the Twi’lek Costume from Return of the JediI have always loved the original Star Wars trilogy. But as a woman, if you wanted to dress as someone … Read more
- Awesome Homemade Couple Costume: Firebirds from The Labyrinth!I created Firebirds for Halloween 2013. I got the idea from the movie The Labyrinth. My husband (Tim) is the … Read more
- Cool Last-Minute Toddler Costume: Flying Monkey from Wizard of OzI’ve learned from years prior that I have to “warm” the kids up to my ideas for their costumes. So … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Costume from Spaceballs: Dark HelmetAs a huge Mel Brooks fan, I wanted to pay tribute to one of my favorite movies: Spaceballs. It was … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Barf Costume for a Toddler (from Spaceballs)Who doesn’t love the classic Spaceballs! I thought it would be a great idea for this years costume for my … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Oompa Loompa Couple Halloween CostumeA couple of weeks before our neighborhood Halloween Party I had been trying to come up with a really good couple’s … Read more
- Funny Homemade Scrad and Charlie Illusion Costume from Men in BlackMy son-in law asked me if we could make a “Scrad & Charlie” costume where he could operate the “second … Read more
Featured Book and Movie Character Costumes
Ellis is the first girl after 4 boys, so I knew her costume this year would be amazing. I’d been waiting 11 years to make a girl costume. And when she was born with red hair, I wanted to be sure to celebrate red hair in her costume. My husband just recently made the jump to shave his head bald. So, “Daddy Warbucks” has been swimming around in his head for some time. So out of the blue he suggested Annie. Add that to my minor obsession with musicals and Annie was the perfect fit for her first Halloween on earth. Read more »
I’ve always wanted to create these classic couple costumes. I grew up watching the movie Mary Poppins and I loved the characters and the costumes. This Halloween, my boyfriend and I decided to create homemade costumes for Mary Poppins and Bert (the chimney sweep from Mary Poppins). I’m a bit (okay a lot) obsessed with Halloween and DIY costumes and I love couple costumes. I started prepping these in early September. Read more »
Our family loves the movie Guardians of the Galaxy, so it was a given we would convince our kids this was the Halloween theme we needed to go with. We’ve been dressing up as a family since the kids were born, and each year our costumes get more elaborate. From our Guardians of the Galaxy family costume, my husband’s Groot costume took the most time, so I’ll explain the steps he took to build it. Read more »
Here’s how our homemade Alien Xenomorph costume came to life. My son Joshua has always had a fascination with natural and fictitious creatures like Dinosaurs and Dragons. His love of scary monsters evolved to the creepiest monster ever featured in movies: The Alien Xenomorph in the Alien films. Read more »