The amazing costume designers here have taken on the challenge of creating animated character costumes and bringing them to life.
There is plenty of room for interpretation as a character travels from the cartoon into the real world. It’s very cool to see the process. Sometimes capturing the feel of a character is more important than the actual intricate details.
What is really interesting is to see how many costumes there are for the same character that are all so uniquely different yet also instantly recognizable.
For instance, Ursula the Sea Witch is a fan favorite because of her scary detailed features. No two Ursulas here look alike, yet they are all absolutely the terrifying villain from The Little Mermaid.
In addition, you will learn incredible tips to take your costume making to the next level.
Latest Animated Character Costumes
- Cool Homemade TMNT Raphael Movie Style CostumeWell where to start. Like most children of the 80’s and 90’s I grew up watching the Ninja Turtles in … Read more
- Awesome Buzz Lightyear and Jessie Homemade Halloween CostumeThis year we decided to make Buzz Lightyear and Jessie the Cowgirl costumes. We started early in September. We had … Read more
- Awesome Oblina from Aaahh!!! Real Monsters CostumeOriginally I wanted to do a couple’s costume with my boyfriend and be the Maitlands from Beetlejuice (which I found … Read more
- Presenting Cool Homemade Ursula Costume Accompanied by ArielHi all. This costume for Ursula was made a few years ago, thought you might like it anyway. I was … Read more
- Best Home Made Roger Rabbit Halloween CostumeHere is My Epic Roger Rabbit Halloween costume! Hope You all enjoy it as much as I did making it … Read more
- Original Gender Bender Halloween CostumeI wanted to do something special this year so I chose the “Gender” Bender. For Bender I spent a lot … Read more
- Coolest Homemade My Little Pony Toddler CostumesMaking My Little Pony Toddler Costumes My daughter (3 years old) is OBSESSED with My Little Pony. So, for Halloween, … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Despicable Me Minion CostumeAs soon as my son saw Dispicable Me, my son immediately knew he wanted to be a minion. I had … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Dr. Doom Costume for ConventionPalmcon 2011 was the first con I ever went to, after going I was inspired to make a costume for … Read more
- Coolest Mickey Mouse and Car Wheelchair CostumeThis year my son picked Mickey Mouse as his costume and every year we have to incorporate a costume for … Read more
- Coolest VOLTRON CostumeVoltron! Defender of the universe! Definitely one of my favorite childhood toys…. so this year I decided to go big … Read more
- Coolest Flying Genie Illusion CostumeI still remember creating Halloween costumes as a child with my dad, back in my small hometown. Hearing people say … Read more
We thought it would be fun to dress in Despicable Me costumes since my kids love the Despicable Me movies. For Gru we got a fake nose from the costume store and a striped scarf from Amazon. He wore pants and a jacket he already owned, and stuffed a beach towel under the coat to simulate Gru’s large shoulders. He also spoke in Gru’s accent all night, which all the kids thought was hilarious. Read more »
I made this cool Oogie Boogie Nightmare Before Christmas costume for my boyfriend for Halloween and we were really happy with it. A group of us decided to do Disney villains and he decided straight away he wanted to be Oogie Boogie from Nightmare before Christmas. The Nightmare Before Christmas costume took about 2 weeks to make working on it at night after college for a few hours. It was all handmade by me, no sewing machines or anything were used to make it. Read more »
Since my daughter reminds me of Belle, I decided to make both of us a Belle and the Beast costume. I wanted to make a dress that looked like the one from the original cartoon. I followed a pattern for a princess dress and made adjustments along the way so it would look more like the movie version. Read more »