The amazing costume designers here have taken on the challenge of creating animated character costumes and bringing them to life.
There is plenty of room for interpretation as a character travels from the cartoon into the real world. It’s very cool to see the process. Sometimes capturing the feel of a character is more important than the actual intricate details.
What is really interesting is to see how many costumes there are for the same character that are all so uniquely different yet also instantly recognizable.
For instance, Ursula the Sea Witch is a fan favorite because of her scary detailed features. No two Ursulas here look alike, yet they are all absolutely the terrifying villain from The Little Mermaid.
In addition, you will learn incredible tips to take your costume making to the next level.
Latest Animated Character Costumes
- Awesome DIY Optical Illusion Costume: Evil Krusty the Clown and SimpsonsMy costume this year has been quite an experience. It took me a couple months to plan, source materials, and … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Gloria the Hippo CostumeI was approached by a friend of a friend of mine, who’s daughter had to be a hippo Gloria from … Read more
- Prize-Winning Sexy DIY Betty Boop CostumeOne of my very favorite cartoon characters happens to be Betty Boop! I have made many homemade Halloween costumes through out … Read more
- Cutest and Easiest Homemade Minion Costume for All AgesMinions are so cute! Easy cheap costume idea for all ages! Yellow hat, socks, shirt, navy blue leggings and apron and … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Carnage (Spiderman Villain) CostumeMy son is a huge Spiderman fan and asked if I could make him a “Carnage” costume. If you are not … Read more
- Coolest Carl the Minion Costume for a ToddlerAs the Dad I am more than happy to buy a costume from the store just hours prior to trick-or-treating. … Read more
- Cool Homemade Couple Costume Idea: Garfield and Jon ArbuckleMuch of our shopping for supplies took place at thrift stores. We shopped around at a few locations to find … Read more
- Glowing Mrs. Captain America Costume – Light of the Party!This is me in my Mrs Captain America costume. I was inspired by the Avengers this year and liked the … Read more
- Make an Awesome Homemade Purple Minion CostumeFirst let me say that I have spent years looking at this site just because it is so FUN! When I was … Read more
- Coolest Little Despicable Me Minion Costume for a BoyAfter seeing Despicable Me 1 and 2 it was clearly obvious my 4 year old had his mind set on … Read more
- Awesome Homemade Trio of Despicable Me Minions Group CostumeLast month the wife and her friends requested some adult Minion costumes and here is what resulted. This design gets … Read more
- Best DIY Minion Costume Ever!“Bee do bee do bee do! Baboi! Baboi! Mom, I want to be a Minion for Halloween!!” ecstatically exclaimed my … Read more
Coolest Ever DIY Moana Family Costume
Here’s the story behind our Moana family costume. My daughters and niece are huge fans of the movie Moana, and decided they wanted to dress up in animated character costumes from the movie for Halloween. We incorporated their costumes into their birthday party, as they have birthdays before and after Halloween. Read more »
Coolest DIY Despicable Me Costumes
We thought it would be fun to dress in Despicable Me costumes since my kids love the Despicable Me movies. For Gru we got a fake nose from the costume store and a striped scarf from Amazon. He wore pants and a jacket he already owned, and stuffed a beach towel under the coat to simulate Gru’s large shoulders. He also spoke in Gru’s accent all night, which all the kids thought was hilarious. Read more »
Cool Nightmare Before Christmas Costume: Oogie Boogie
I made this cool Oogie Boogie Nightmare Before Christmas costume for my boyfriend for Halloween and we were really happy with it. A group of us decided to do Disney villains and he decided straight away he wanted to be Oogie Boogie from Nightmare before Christmas. The Nightmare Before Christmas costume took about 2 weeks to make working on it at night after college for a few hours. It was all handmade by me, no sewing machines or anything were used to make it. Read more »
Easiest Homemade Belle and The Beast Costume
Since my daughter reminds me of Belle, I decided to make both of us a Belle and the Beast costume. It’s so much fun making these animated character costumes! I wanted to make a dress that looked like the one from the original cartoon. I followed a pattern for a princess dress and made adjustments along the way so it would look more like the movie version. Read more »