Welcome to the animal costume safari! The ideas you will see here are beastly, wild or simply adorable. To that end, you’re invited to find your signature look among the costume ideas in this section.
Perhaps you are looking to create a powerful lion. Or an imposing elephant. Or even a mythical dragon. You will find unbelievably authentic looking animal costumes in these categories.
Maybe you’re pulled in a cuter direction. See the sweet monkeys, adorable koalas and fluffy bunnies scampering around these pages as well.
Another very versatile animal costume is that of the cat. You will find them from cute to sexy and even scary. Hence, the range of emotions of these felines are remarkable.
In addition, don’t miss out on the incredibly unique peacock costumes here. They are stunning and distinct. You will be in awe that they are all homemade!
So, you can dream of becoming a prickly porcupine, a delicate deer or a talkative toucan. Because here is where you will find your spirit animal costume!
Popular Animal Costume Categories
All Animal Costume Sub-Categories
Latest Animal Costumes
- Creative Homemade Peacock Halloween Costume IdeaAfter a recent trip to our local botanical gardens, I was inspired to make a peacock costume. I took my … Read more
- Coolest Do it Yourself Peacock Halloween CostumeThis Do it Yourself Peacock Halloween Costume was inspired by my daughter, Savannah, who loves peacocks. The dress was a … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Cannibal Chicken CostumeThis Homemade Cannibal Chicken Costume is quite simply a chicken who likes to eat chicken. A cannibal chicken! The Lector … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Flock of Sheep Group CostumeFor Halloween a group of us decided on a Homemade Flock of Sheep Group Costume. I mean when else could … Read more
- Cool Homemade Pretty Peacock CostumeWell to start, I have to thank my friend Kieu who decided to have this Animal themed party. If it … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Cat CostumeI went to Cat’s website to get idea to make cat costume and I got an idea for a Homemade … Read more
- Pretty Homemade Peacock Halloween CostumeAs soon as I heard my girlfriend was going to have a Halloween costume party, I started my search for … Read more
- Coolest Blue Turtle CostumeMy daughter had to dress up as her favorite character from a book for literacy week at school. She chose … Read more
- Cool Homemade Flamingo CostumeI made this Homemade Flamingo Costume for a party themed “Lost in the Wild”. I designed the skirt making the … Read more
- Original Homemade Pretty Peacock CostumeThis Pretty Peacock Costume was my 2008 costume which I decided I’m going to wear again this year, only elaborate … Read more
- Cool Homemade Tiger CostumeI printed off a tiger pattern for my Homemade Tiger Costume, went out and bought orange, yellow, white and black … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Peacock Costume for a GirlI made this Peacock Costume for my daughter Ashley. You start with a basic crushed velvet leotard and sew on … Read more
Featured Animal Costumes
I was surprised at how easy and fun this costume was to make. It took me almost a week to do, but I was only working on it for an hour or two at night after my kids went to bed. I found out that I was pretty good with a glue gun, but definitely had more than a few battle wounds from the hot glue. I was very concerned that I would spend a bunch of time making the costume and then he wouldn’t wear it, but that wasn’t the case. He loved it and walked around growling at everyone – it was so cute and such a fun Halloween! Read more »
I wanted to have an owl costume that wasn’t all bulky tootsie roll commercial owl but a pretty thing. So I started with a dress from my closet that I love the fit of and pretty much used it as a pattern on some dollar material I bought. Once I had the bodes sewn up, I knew I wanted to have feathers on it, so I found some inexpensive felt in various colors and cut probably 20 triangles from each color and started sewing them on the bodes starting from the neckline and shoulders down in rows. Read more »
I’m crazy about Halloween! I love it all, but top priority for me is always the costume. This year, I did a funny group costume and couldn’t be happier with the results! The idea came to me in August, I’ve been recruiting and crafting since! The idea was simple–hunter’s trophy wall of animal heads–but the execution had to be perfect! Once the group was assembled, everyone chose their animal (real or fake) and the craft nights started. Read more »
For weeks my three year old (going on 15) daughter, Adalyn, told me she wasn’t going to be anything else but Princess Elsa for Halloween, that was until we spent a morning at the zoo. I took her and Emmett, her 1½yr old little brother, to the zoo, an outing we do at least once or twice every month. However, this time while having lunch with the elephants, a beautiful peacock (something she had never seen before) decided to join us. The amazing bird came around the corner with its tail standing tall, and after a second Adalyn turned away from the peacock to me and said, “Mommy look at how beautiful that birdie’s feathers are – I wish I had beautiful feathers like that too!” Read more »
Every Halloween I have fun taking on new costume challenges. My daughters wanted to go as a penguin and a toucan for Halloween this year. We named the penguin Twiggles because the tail would “twiggle” back and forth as she walked, and we called the toucan Jewel. These birds are unlikely companions. They won local costume contests and really looked cute trick or treating. Read more »
I made this giraffe costume for my 10-year-old daughter mostly out of recycled cardboard, hot glue, quilt batting, and felt. I made a “skull” from strips of cardboard bent and glued together and then covered with quilt batting and felt. Read more »
Halloween is my favorite time of the year and I love getting creative and making my own costumes. This year, I was pregnant with my first child and due on October 28, so I wasn’t sure if I would spend Halloween in the hospital or not. My daughter, Cadence, arrived a few days early, on October 24th and we were home from the hospital the next day. I decided to dress her up as a sleepy owl because I thought she would look adorable, and being only a week old, she sleeps a lot! Read more »