Optical illusion costumes are so fun to make and even more fun is to wear. Just seeing the look on people’s faces staring at you in bewilderment trying to figure out the illusion is priceless. It’s the best reward for the hard work you put into making the costume.
On this site alone you’ll find many different variations of the “classic” optical illusion costumes. You’ll find Alien Abduction, Headless, Jockey, Piggy Back, Flying Carpet and so many more illusions. And just when we thought that we’ve seen all the illusions possible… Someone sends in a new and original optical illusion costume that blows us away.
So, if you are planning an optical illusion costume this Halloween, make sure to browse through the ideas below. Create a new variation on a classic illusion costume. Or, come up with an illusion that has never been seen before! And don’t forget to send us your costume so we can feature it on our site. It’ll blow away people for years to come!
Latest Optical Illusion Costume Ideas
- Coolest Pumpkin Head in a Jar CostumeThis is my 9 year old son. We used a rolling back pack with the handle being pulled up made … Read more
- Torn Gut Hanging Zombie Illusion CostumeThis zombie costume was originally created for a zombie walk in the town I live in, Fayetteville, NC. The idea … Read more
- Contest-Winning DIY Floating Genie CostumeI created the rug out of foam board and reinforced it with thin strips of wood. I spray glued material … Read more
- Coolest Miley Cyrus Costume – Riding a Wrecking Ball IllusionMy daughter has been obsessed with Miley Cyrus’ song “Wrecking Ball” from the moment it first debuted on the radio. … Read more
- Cool Victims of American Horror Story Illusion CostumesI build costumes for my partner and I every year. The great thing is we are almost identical in size. … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Headless Harry Potter CostumeThis headless Harry Potter costume was so much fun to make! For many years now, our son has repeatedly received … Read more
- Child’s Alien Abduction Costume Becomes Adult Grim StreakerThe hardest part with this Alien Abduction costume was getting my 11-year-old daughter to decide what costume she wanted to … Read more
- Awesome DIY Optical Illusion Ellen Degeneres CostumeI made this Ellen Degeneres costume for My husband and my 10th annual Halloween party. Our parties are so much … Read more
- Funny Moose Head Over the Fireplace CostumeMy son saw a version of this costume online and wanted to be a Moose head over a fireplace for … Read more
- Awesome Genie on Flying Carpet Illusion CostumeWho wouldn’t want to go on a magic carpet ride?! When my 5 year old daughter, Sophie, told me she … Read more
- Couples Optical Illusion Ventriloquist Dummy CostumeVentriloquist dummy costume perfection! Our alter-egos, Jerry and Stella, are the product of our imaginations and HOURS of painstaking labor. … Read more
- Optical Illusion Jet Pack CostumeMy son wanted to be a boy and a jet pack this year, so we started searching the internet for … Read more
Halloween Coupons and Discounts
Click here for 10% off your order at HalloweenCostumes.com (Expires Sep. 25, 2021)
Shop now with coupon HA18 for 18% Off Sitewide at Rolecosplay.com (Expires Sep. 30, 2021)
Shop with coupon SAS10 for 10% Off Sitewide at Gcosplay.com (Expires Dec. 28, 2021)
Essential Workers? Get 20% of at HalloweenCostumes.com (Expires Aug. 18, 2022)
Featured Optical Illusion Costume Ideas
My son wanted an illusion costume, so we went with the jet pack! We were so excited to make this, that it is done already for this Halloween! I had seen a picture of something similar, but there were NO instructions. It actually wasn’t too difficult to make once you had the general idea. My son is wearing a thrift store skirt (shhh!) with pieces of flame colored material stapled to it. He is also wearing the black shirt. We bought concrete form tube for the jet pack. The maroon vest is actually attached to the tubes. Read more »
This zombie costume was originally created for a zombie walk in the town I live in, Fayetteville, NC. The idea came a year ago when I was trying to think of clever zombie ideas. I wanted to create a zombie like no other that has been seen. Since I am a magician I started thinking of different optical illusions I could use in order to create a zombie, and the idea of half a torso being carried by another character… Read more »