Optical illusion costumes are so fun to make and even more fun is to wear. Just seeing the look on people’s faces staring at you in bewilderment trying to figure out the illusion is priceless. It’s the best reward for the hard work you put into making the costume.
On this site alone you’ll find many different variations of the “classic” optical illusion costumes. You’ll find Alien Abduction, Headless, Jockey, Piggy Back, Flying Carpet and so many more illusions. And just when we thought that we’ve seen all the illusions possible… Someone sends in a new and original optical illusion costume that blows us away.
So, if you are planning an optical illusion costume this Halloween, make sure to browse through the ideas below. Create a new variation on a classic illusion costume. Or, come up with an illusion that has never been seen before! And don’t forget to send us your costume so we can feature it on our site. It’ll blow away people for years to come!
Latest Optical Illusion Costume Ideas
- Awesome DIY Optical Illusion Costume: Evil Krusty the Clown and SimpsonsMy costume this year has been quite an experience. It took me a couple months to plan, source materials, and … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Gnome Riding a Snail Illusion CostumeThis Gnome Riding a Snail Illusion costume looks harder then it really was. All you need is a box and fabric … Read more
- Funny Homemade Prince George and Kate Middleton Illusion CostumeI had already bought everything for a different costume – then two weeks before the Halloween party, inspiration struck! I … Read more
- Simplest and Cheapest Costume Idea: Giant Head Baby Illusion CostumeThis was probably the simplest and cheapest costume I have ever done. All you need is a black sheet (Wal-Mart … Read more
- Realistic Decapitated Bride CostumeThis is my costume I home made this year! I wanted something visually stunning that would make people do double … Read more
- Scary Amputated Legs Illusion CostumeHalloween is my favorite holiday, and I really wanted to turn heads this year. This costume does include my full … Read more
- Funny Homemade Scrad and Charlie Illusion Costume from Men in BlackMy son-in law asked me if we could make a “Scrad & Charlie” costume where he could operate the “second … Read more
- Funny Illusion Couple Costume: Jay-Z, Beyonce and Blue IvyJay-Z and Beyonce took Blue Ivy out…Jay-Z was a bit of a challenge. I laminated a high megapixel picture of … Read more
- Bloody Headless Marie Antoinette CostumeLast year I was the bride of Frankenstein and found an awesome wedding dress at a thrift store… so in … Read more
- Awesome DIY Headless Marie Antoinette CostumeHere’s the story behind my headless Marie Antoinette costume. Every Halloween my neighborhood hosts an adults only Halloween party with … Read more
- Captured by Frankenstein Caged Illusion Homemade Costume IdeaThis costume was so much fun to make and pretty easy too. All I did was, I bought a Styrofoam … Read more
- Funny Homemade Illusion Costume: Alien Baby AbductorThis Alien Baby Abductor costume is super easy to make and really has an awesome optical illusion effect. We used an … Read more
Featured Optical Illusion Costume Ideas
The moment I saw a mannequin head for 4 dollars at a thrift store, I came up with this double-headed 50s housewife illusion costume. I adore Halloween, almost to a fault….nah! No such thing! I came up with this costume when I found an old mannequin head in a thrift store for 4 dollars! I just thought WOW! This is a gift from the Halloween gods! I have to figure out how to use this for Halloween! Read more »
My son wanted an illusion costume, so we went with the jet pack! We were so excited to make this, that it is done already for this Halloween! I had seen a picture of something similar, but there were NO instructions. It actually wasn’t too difficult to make once you had the general idea. My son is wearing a thrift store skirt (shhh!) with pieces of flame colored material stapled to it. He is also wearing the black shirt. We bought concrete form tube for the jet pack. The maroon vest is actually attached to the tubes. Read more »
This zombie costume was originally created for a zombie walk in the town I live in, Fayetteville, NC. The idea came a year ago when I was trying to think of clever zombie ideas. I wanted to create a zombie like no other that has been seen. Since I am a magician I started thinking of different optical illusions I could use in order to create a zombie, and the idea of half a torso being carried by another character… Read more »