I spent the past month and a half working on my son Logan’s transforming Optimus Prime costume design for Halloween. He loves Optimus Prime so Daddy decided to let him feel like he was actually Optimus Prime. Turns out there are costumes out there like this on the web, so I tried to be as creative and detailed as possible to replicate the actual truck.
Transforming Optimus Prime Costume Design Supplies
- I used multiple corrugated cardboard boxes, about 75 hot glue sticks, 4 cans of navy blue, red, metallic silver spray paint, 1 can of orange and 3 cans of black spray paint.
- I used shrink wrap to draw on and cut out the flames as stencils.
- There is approximately 15 ft. of Velcro throughout the costume to hold it to Logan.
- I also purchased LED push lights for the front headlights and two bicycle red LED lights for the rear lights.
- I bought an Optimus Prime mask and built LED lights into the mask.
There was so much trial and error in making this costume to get it to function while Logan was wearing it. He is now finally able to go trick or treating in it this year!
I enjoyed every moment of creating this costume and, most importantly, I made my little boy so happy.
People are amazed when I showed them the pictures. I have what I refer to as “repeat offenders” who consistently come up to me right after I show them the pictures asking to see it again.
I have 3 children. The other two are looking at me like, “Daddy…where is my costume!?” Well, turns out I got so sucked into this one that I couldn’t believe how much time and effort I put into it. Needless to say, I have a whole year now to prep 3 unique costumes for 3 amazing kids who I call mine. They will always remember Halloweens with Dad… and Mom. My wife has been so supportive in this, even though I sit here in front of this computer writing this out to enter our son into your contest and she is sending me the “get to bed” texts.
All the time and effort was worth the smiles, non stop hugs, and love I am receiving from my son. I am glad to have made you feel like you are truly Optimus Prime. I love you buddy!