I wanted to be a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger for Halloween this year but hated all the costumes online for purchse. I had this idea to make it a “pretty Power Ranger” by making a top and a tutu heres what you need and how to make it!
- Longline Bra in white
- Fabric ribbon- used for straps if desired on the top and for the belt
- Long white gloves
- felt one 8 X 11 sheet will be more than enough
- tulle about 7 yards (depending on your waist size and the length you want your tutu- this is how much I needed)
- elastic measured to your waist size- cut extra just
- 2 bottles of fabric spray paint
- safety pins
- sewing pins
- painters tape
- hot glue gun
- extra hot glue gun sticks
- diamond patterns- 2 large for the top and 1 small for the gloves
- bloomers or short shorts to cover yourself!
- Optional Might Morphin Power Ranger patch
- Optional- sunglasses to use instead of masks
A longline bra and white gloves were purchased on eBay.
Patch was googled and purchased from Esty
Part One – Making the Top:
- print on cardstock paper two large diamonds.
- cut one diamond in half down the middle
- tape the whole diamond in the center of your garment- make sure the painters tape is even and covering all the edges.
- this will make the pattern on the top make sure your lines are clean and straight.
- place the half diamonds with the points touching the middle diamond.- repeat the process with the painters tape.depending on your size you may have to extend the painters tape so it meets the edge of your garment..
- for extra protection against leaks i used sewing pins to make sure the tape didn’t roll up while i was spray painting
- next with your fabric spray paint cover your entire garment. make sure you follow instructions on the package. I used Simple Spray from Michael’s Craft Store.
- depending on the color Power Ranger you are you may want to to do 2 coats of the fabric spray paint. since we were light colors we both used 2 coats of the spray paint.
- since our longline bras were strapless we bought ribbon that matched our paint and sewed on straps
Part Two – The Tutu:
We made no sew tutus. We used a tutorial on YouTube that was very simple. You can sew your elastic closed however we just used saftey pins and that did the trick
Part Three – Gloves:
- using your small diamond trace it on your felt sheet and cut them out repeat until the glove has enough diamonds to cover around tour elbow. (Tip: try your gloves on first to see how many you need to cover and where to place them(
- using a hot glue gun glue the diamonds around the glove near the opening.
- repeat the process on the second glove
Part Four – Belt:
- using the ribbon from our straps we hot glued the patch to the center and tied it around our waist
Initially you’re done! This costume took a lot of work and creativity. If I were to remake this costume I would somehow outline the diamonds to make them more pronounced- in the dark club we went to most people who thought we were princesses.
We hope you loved our costume we had an awesome time making them and showing them off all night!