I chose Marvin the Martian for the challenge! To get the proportions correct, I needed a really big helmet/head and really big shoes.
I started off with the helmet/head. I used a large (3’) round balloon as the starting point and paper mached it with several layers. Then I added poster board for the side pieces along with 1” filling pieces to give it some shape. I used the same kind of poster board and filler to make the visor as a separate piece. I covered a little more than half of the helmet with green felt, and the rest with the black. I sewed the inside flap pieces and the piece for the visor with green and gold felt before using Velcro to attach the visor to the helmet. A toilet paper-holder and flower foam are covered with brown felt and yellow foam to represent the “broom” plume. The eyes are the final touch.
The skirt was sewed with the same gold and green felt and filled with the 1” foam filler and attached to a green felt-covered belt.
The shoes were a lot of fun. A large pair of sneakers were duck taped to a heavy cardboard sole. The white fabric was sewn and stuffed with pillow stuffing. The black laces were made of electrical tape and the sole was finished with red duck tape on the edge and bottom.
The final touches were large cartoon hand gloves with four fingers and, of course, the pose!
I spent a lot of time conceptualizing this Homemade Marvin the Martian Costume and worked on it a few hours here and there over the course of 3 weeks. Once I got all of the materials together and tested a few things like glue vs sewing vs tape – it came together nicely!