This is a headless clown costume I thought up about a couple of months before Halloween 2008. Originally it was to be a large inflated fat suit with the clown mask, but I couldn't find a fan to keep the costume inflated well enough yet fit in my budget, or a fat costume in my budget either.
I have to give a lot of credit to my grandmother and her excellent sewing skills. Without her this would still be a drawing on paper. She made what you can see (the outer costume with the stripes) from scratch. There is a Styrofoam shoulder piece that I cut out and sanded down. I used part of a fake leg to form the severed neck. I used those puffy sponges (Loofas?) for the Pom Poms.
There is a strip of scrap plywood that was crazy duct taped to me. I had 3 strips around my chest and stomach area( the problem was that I still needed to breathe so it couldn't be too tight and it was taped to a shirt I was wearing). There were strips making an X on my back. They were anchored over my shoulders, crossed each other over the wood strip and wrapped around my waist. It was just as hard to get off as it was to get on!
This costume caused quite the scare in my neighborhood. Everyone was either running, crying, or both. It was great. I just wish I had gotten some clown shoes before Halloween night but the costume wasn't ready till the Wed. right before Halloween.
I was given this idea from someone on the internet. Then to make it all work, I checked this site, which was very helpful in putting it all together.
First I took a peanut butter jar and painted it flesh color. Then, I glued pulled pieces of cotton balls on top and here and there around the sides. Then, I painted the cotton blood red, letting it drip down the sides.
I went to a thrift shop and purchased an old shirt, pair of pants, and a rolling backpack. I hung the shirt and pants up outside, and let the paint drip down them. I cut the backpack up and removed the wheels, to where I only had the back straps and the poles. Then I attached a piece of cardboard, with two smaller pieces glued on to it posing as shoulders, to the poles.
After everything dried, I stuffed the arms with newspaper, the gloves with cotton, and safety pinned the gloves onto the cuffs of the shirt. Once the costume was on, we pinned the shirt around the pants, with room for his hands to hang out to carry his bag.
Everyone loved his costume. People were taking pictures all night. Although, getting in and out of the car was a bit troublesome. We found it easiest to put him in the front with the seat all of the way back.
Thank you again for all of the tips and cool pictures and ideas on this site.
I created this Homemade Headless Costume by building the shoulder unit out of supplies around the house. I used a coat hanger, some duct tape, old pillows/cloth, and some packing Styrofoam.
I got the dress at Value Village for $6. I used some stuffed gloves for the hands. I made sure the dress was long enough to cover my knees (so I wouldn’t give away how tall I actually was). I wore some black pants and black shoes.
I sewed the finger and thumb together on the glove so it was holding my hair. This outfit got some great feedback out at the bar, but did not win the Halloween costume award.