This Medieval Armor Halloween costume worked out great for my son! I was trying to think of what flexible material there is that is metallic looking, and thought of those sunshades that go in your car window. I picked one up at the end of the season for 75% off, so I only spent $2.50 for the entire costume!
First, I used a seam ripper to remove the edging that went all the way around the shade. Then, I cut it to the width of my son’s shoulders, leaving a little overhang. I cut the length to just below his waist, so he could move around easily. I cut a neck hole with a slit down the back so he could get his head in without tearing it. I did some stylized design around the sleeve area. I re-attached the same edging that I had ripped off before using my sewing machine, which was a little tricky around the neck, but I was successful. It came out looking like a manufactured costume!
I used three straps up wide elastic on each side to attach the front to the back, but yet make sure it had some give to get it on and off easily. It worked like a charm! He just wore a black shirt underneath.