While my young daughter was thinking a “princess” I had something more along the lines of a medieval “Lady” in mind. This Medieval Lady Princess Costume was fabricated entirely with findings and fabric scraps I had already so the cost was $0 for me. I had a green satin and a gold silk fabric, and the ornate bodice was rebuilt from an adult sized “made in India” beaded summer top (taking it in in the back to preserve the buttons in the front). I hand beaded a few more beads to the bodice once it was finished to fancy it up even more. The slashed sleeves and “snow white” style puffs were the main design focus for me.
I turned to my art history book for inspiration on how to construct the hat and wimple and a vintage table napkin topped it off. The structure of the hat is plastic cross stitch mesh. I find the plastic mesh to be wonderful for quick construction because it cuts with scissors, is inexpensive and you can hand sew through it to attach it to itself- or to attach the covering material. Her brother was a knight, so although this costume stands alone, it was part of a pair.