This Homemade Where the Wild Things Are Halloween Couple Costume is straight from Maurice Sendak’s world of imagination, no Spike Jonze here. They roar their terrible roars and gnash their terrible teeth and roll their terrible eyes and show their terrible claws, their terribly awesome homemade teeth, eyes, and claws.
The splendor of these costumes was achieved by a month of hard work during which endless amounts of paper mache, machine and hand sewing, and hot glue gun reigned with an iron fist, but sticky, arthritic, and burned fingers were no deterrent to our final product.
To become Wild Things we:
1) paper mache giant balloons
2) use Styrofoam and green flower arranging material to build the face with a layer of paper mache over
3) paint the heads
4) add hair
5) sew the striped shirt or body suit
6) cut out a million scales for the legs or chicken feet
7) glue on said scales
8) cut out some toes and glue on
9) hand sew the terrible claws and add to shirt 10) make and add the different tails
We had a vision of becoming walking, talking, breathing childhood idols, and to the wonder of every child and adult alike, we have achieved that vision. So let the wild rumpus start!