My husband does the best impression of David Lo Pan from the movie Big Trouble in Little Chine, that my kids and I absolutely adore so we both decided it would make an awesome Halloween surprise for our friends and family!
These costumes were put together 100% with a glue gun (I do not have a sewing machine). I made them both using the following:
Lo Pan’ Robe:
- Black satin cloth – main cloak material
- 3 different types of gold trim (including 1 of gold present wrapping ribbon)
- Red,orange,gold satin cloth for flames
Lo Pan’s Hat:
- Black satin
- Card stock
- Crafting foam
- 3 different types of gold trim
- Dresser drawer nob and part of broken shelf spray painted gold
Gracie Law’s Robe:
- Red satin for base robe material
- 3 different types of trim
- Stencil carved out to make Chinese symbols that’s I spay painted on red satin
- Belt – I used 1/4″ craft foam to make it rigid, and then I used gold trim for the top and bottom, then glues some gold trim to the front to make a unique pattern.
Gracie Law Headdress:
- Craft foam
- Copper wire
- Blue satin
- Multiple different types of beads, different for each section of the headdress. I had used broken old necklaces (care of my girls).
- Feather that I spray painted gold one in place
- A swan that I molded out of clay then had my kids paint gold
- I used three different acrylic paint to paint the fabricated feather look onto blue satin, then I glued on bead strips to outline and then painted them gold.
- Curtain tassels
Everywhere we went people couldn’t stop looking at us.
These were so much fun to make! The robes were relatively fast to make, my husbands hat didn’t take too long either. What took me the longest was my headdress. I’ve never made my own costumes before, so figuring out the best way to go about it took some time.
These costumes were the talk of everywhere we went. My favorite reactions were at the senior center, they made us sing them song because they thought we were part of an opera!! Haha
Egg Shen… EGG SHEN! You have come a long ways to find me. But it is too late. There are two girls with green eyes, and I will marry them both. And then I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin.
Lo Pan – Not a big fan of kiddy carnivals