For Character day at my daughter's school, she decided she wanted to be Pippi Longstocking.
1. First we went to Salvation Army and bought a denim jumper dress ($3) and a red and white striped shirt ($2)
2. Second I cut old t-shirts and sew them onto the jumper for patches. I hand sewed them on so it looked more like patches.
3. I safety pinned a monkey to her shoulder for Mr. Nilsson.
4. I used one red and white and one black and white knee high sock, because that's what we had already, but any mix match knee highs would work.
5. For the hair we used a hanger formed to my daughter's head and put it through the braids (cut off the excess hanger). Make sure the hanger goes into the pony tail, to ensure a secure fit. I also secured it with a couple of hair clips and bobby pins, just to make sure they would stay on. Then we used red spray on hair color for the Pippi color.
6. I added brown freckles with marker to her face.
7. Then she wore converse type tennis shoes, but black boots would work well, too.
This Pippi Longstocking costume is super cute and super inexpensive. She received so many compliments.
Comments for Coolest Pippi Longstocking Costume 17
We did this Homemade Pippi Longstocking Costume for "Favorite Book Character" Day at school and it turned out really cute so I thought we would share. We used a dress we already had. There was no purchase necessary. I cut fabric from old clothes we did not want anymore and made the patches to sew on the dress. The tights are from Gap, we already had those too. The freckles are done with brown eyeliner.
For the hair, we used copper wire, that could be bent on the ends in a circular position so it was not uncomfortable, and scratching her scalp. I then bent the wire around the ponytail holder at the base of her head and braided the hair around the wire. We found that to be easier than braiding the hair and trying to add the wire afterwards. It was a very easy costume to put together, and everything you need are common items you probably already have at home.
Comments for Coolest Pippi Longstocking Costume 15