My son is fascinated by volcanoes and wanted a homemade volcano Halloween costume. Luckily this site was a very helpful resource. As some of you may be aware: you can't buy a volcano costume.
The fabric store nearby had a huge sale on fleece and felt, so we bought enough brown fleece to make a child-sized tube, and some red and yellow felt for flames and lava. My mom (the sewer) stitched up the tube and sewed two casings at top and bottom. We threaded a big shoelace through the top casing for a draw-sting neckline. We threaded medium-gauge wire through the bottom casing to make the bottom hoop. I cut armhole slits out near the middle.
For the fiery crown, I found a fire image on the Internet that I blew up and used as a pattern for the red and yellow felt. I cut out flame shapes and used craft glue and a glue gun to place them on a red felt headband, which I sealed with adjustable sew-on Velcro.
The lava was free-form. I cut red felt into somewhat comical-looking drip shapes, then stitched them lightly around the volcano's neckline. This was not only a fun costume, it was a warm one-- no jacket was required on Halloween night.
My 5 year old LOVES dinosaurs! I was really worried when he decided that he'd be a Triceratops for Halloween. I was not quite sure how I would pull off a dinosaur kid homemade costume. After digging for some thick jersey for the body and velvet for the horns, I realized that maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all.
The velvet made the horns and the "hood" is really easy to stand up off of his head. I used a little piece of clothes hanger to stiffen and shape the hood. The horns are stuffed with fiberfill and hand sewn. The tail was a little trickier to get to work right. The weight of it made the body suit hang a little funny. He still has this costume in his closet and puts it on every once in a while.
Comments for Coolest Dinosaur Kid Homemade Costume 11
I began this Dinosaur Costume with a dinosaur mask that I got from the Children’s Museum. Using black foam core I attached a long spiky, bumpy tail. The wonderful thing about foam core is that you can create bumps with heat, can paint it, and can glue onto it. Around the shoulders are more spikes and bumps.
For the claws I molded Fimo and hot glued them to black work gloves, to which I also attached more spiky things. Ribbons of glue also add texture. A final dab of paint goes to finish the project. Underneath it all, I got some flannel pj’s at the thrift store and dyed them black. A great hit, until someone stepped on his tail.