Coolest Homemade Beetlejuice and Lydia Costume
My name is Ryan and that’s my wife Amanda. Our Homemade Beetlejuice and Lydia Costume story starts off on the Tuesday before Halloween (which was on Saturday). I had the idea of being Beetlejuice and Lydia on Monday. The first thing we had to do is find a 1970 wedding dress which really wasn’t hard considering it was at the first costume shop we went to and it was only forty dollars. I had a suit for Beetlejuice at home already.
Then we needed to paint it red because you just cant go out and buy a red wedding dress. So we got some sponges, some true red acrylic paint and some red spray paint then got to work. I laid the dress on a sheet on my basement and began to sponge paint each layer of lace one by one letting each layer dry before I start the next.
While I was watching paint dry I worked on my suit which is a black wool suit. I used duct tape to tape the stripes off setting them 4 inches apart. Duct tape is great for taping off fabric. Then I just used some white house primer, it took two coats to get nice and white and used a black sharpy marker for my mistakes. And the suit was then complete.
Back to the dress. I was finally done painting all of the lace. Next was painting the satin which I did with the spray paint and some acrylic for the front. I also spray painted the inside of the dress which made it look great. Last but not least was hair and make-up. My wife was nice enough to color her hair and tease it up. I took an old man wig, cut it up and glued it so there was more hair on the back of my head and colored it white with some green. I also cut off that stupid bald cap and just shaved my head.
All that was left was make-up and we were done. The best thing about these costumes is that all together we only spent 70 dollars to make a very rememberable night.