The Robin costume was made from thrift store items. This involved many trips to countless stores to find the right items to fit my son. There were many tears shed with tired kids in the carts and lots of begging every time we past the toy section. It's amazing how hard it was to find bright green stuff. The long sleeve green shirt has a Christmas tree on it. In the end we used green soccer socks for the green pants. The cape I think was from another costume at the thrift store. That actually was a lot harder to find than I thought since I needed a really small cape that he wouldn't trip over.
The belt is made out of cut yellow foam then glued with fabric glue. The mask is trimmed from a bigger mask. The red shirt was embroidered to have the "R" and yellow stitches on it. Then the sleeves were cut off.
The Gotham backdrop is a screen grab done in Photoshop. The batman costume was bought since I was so busy making the Robin costume and my Joker costume... So this really is about the Robin costume. But they looked so good together I decided to show both. My sons loved their costumes and wore them everyday in the month of October.
Comments for Coolest Batman and Robin Halloween Costumes 9
My brother which is the one dressed as Batman is a huge Batman and Robin fan. He had read in wizard magazine about a contest for homemade costumes and he wanted to enter it. First it started as him and my son Blake as Robin then he talked me into being Wonder Woman. We thought this would be fairly easy and cheap but turns out it was not easy or cheap. We don't know how to sew besides by hand.
My husband's grandma made the capes. We bought my boots and Robin's gloves and everything else hot glued and imagination. We tried really hard to match exactly to the 1966 authentic costumes.
We made the Robin shoe with swim shoes cover in funky foam and hot glue. We spray painted the Batman boots and Batman gloves. The Batcowl was probably the hardest to make. We used a ball cap and cut off the bill then with clay we made a mold of his face. Then we stretched the material over and glued.
At times I wanted to throw my hands up but we finally finished and swore NEVER AGAIN!
I put together this Batman costume for a relatively small investment of about a hundred bucks. The mask is a party store knock off which I slit up the back and put in laces to get a more snug fit. The belt is made of cigarette cases and wired together on a ladies belt all purchased at the 99 cent store. A little yellow spray paint completes the look.
The tunic and leggings are long underwear and the bat symbol was accomplished with an iron on transfer I made with my PC and copier with paper from the office supply store. The cape is made from surprisingly inexpensive Lycra spandex material($6.00 a yard) and I had the shorts in my drawer. The boots and gloves also came from the party store ($30.00 & $6.00 respectively). I made fins for the gloves from left over cape material and I cut the tops of the boots at an angle to get that Batman style.
This whole process took probably six hours all together and I had a great time doing it. Now I'm looking for a mannequin so I can own the ultimate Batman action figure!