Sunny days await you in this awesome collection of Sesame Street costumes. You will see all the cuddly characters here as adorable homemade costumes. Also, these DIY costumes are not just for kids. Take a look at all the adults joyfully dressing as their favorite childhood characters.
The level of detail in these homemade costumes is amazing. The actual Sesame Street puppets would be amazed. Using everything from foam heads to duct tape, these DIY costumes were major hits on Halloween.
In addition, these costume ideas are great if you are dressing up as a couple or a group. For an awesome couple costume idea, try Cookie Monster and a chocolate chip cookie or the hilarious Yip Yip Aliens. And get your whole family together to be a colorful, fuzzy gang.
So check out the fun-loving Sesame Street costumes below for your best DIY costume this Halloween!
Latest Sesame Street Costumes
- Cool Homemade Elmo CostumeThis Elmo costume was made from a pattern that I used last year for my little man’s skeleton costume. It … Read more
- Coolest Adult Cookie Monster CostumeI always love putting together costumes for Halloween. After struggling to figure out how to make this year’s costume, I … Read more
- Yip Yip Martians Couple CostumeThis Yip Yip Martians couple costume was a big hit at our event. All hot glue, a couple yards of … Read more
- Oscar the Grouch Halloween Costume Made Completely from Trash!My Oscar the Grouch Halloween costume in 2020 (worn by me) was inspired by piles of trash on my street. … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Count Von Count CostumeThis year, I wanted to test my crafting skills by creating a Muppet costume. I knew that this would be … Read more
- Drop Dead Awesome Sesame Street Gang CostumesHi, I’m Megan and these are my friends and mine Sesame Street gang costumes 2012. I’m Cookie Monster, Emily is … Read more
- Coolest Oscar the Grouch Optical Illusion Costume – Trash or Treat?!This year Gabe is 10, and we can no longer build his costume around a wagon. Last year as Scooby … Read more
- Gay Bert and Ernie Get Married CostumeWith the passing of New York’s Gay Marriage, we thought Bert and Ernie should get married. I found foam padding … Read more
- Coolest DIY Oscar the Grouch Halloween CostumeOscar the Grouch has been one of my favorite all time characters. I saw a lot of Oscar costumes, but … Read more
- Scram! Easy Homemade Oscar the Grouch CostumeMy super cool Oscar costume I made inspired by a shaggy green sweater! This costume was easy to make and … Read more
- Doggie Doubles as Oscar the Grouch CostumeMissy (short for Missy Misdemeanor Elliott) is roaming the streets of DC this Halloween as Oscar the Grouch in a home-made … Read more
- The Most Realistic Oscar the Grouch Costume Ever!My son and I were watching Sesame Street like we usually do. On this particular day when Oscar the Grouch … Read more
Featured Sesame Street Costumes
When my two year old became obsessed with Elmo I knew that was what she was going to be for Halloween. So I decided that my husband and I would join in on the fun too! I handmade Count Von Count and Big Bird, but bought Elmo at a thrift shop for 8 bucks. To make Count, I started with the head. I took a lot advice from another costume on this site. We already had a foam ball head from a previous homemade costume(Jack in the Box) that I recycled. I cut a mouth opening with a knife, sprayed it with spray adhesive and wrapped it with purple fleece pulling it toward the back where I knew the hair would be to reduce as many wrinkles as possible. Read more »
My son and I were watching Sesame Street like we usually do. On this particular day when Oscar the Grouch came on his face lit up! “I know what I want to be for Halloween this year” he exclaimed. “I want to be Oscar the Grouch!” Of course I had to ask him why. He said to me, “I’m always happy but sometimes I can be a little grouchy.” I smiled at him and said, “Oh honey, I think we can all be a little grouchy sometimes.” Read more »