This year my husband coaxed me into being something more attractive than my past costume choices. I kept nixing all his suggestions until he said “Mary Poppins”. I knew I had something in my Halloween box to use as the black overcoat – the main part of this costume, and could figure out the rest.
So I started this Mary Poppins costume by getting a picture of the original Julie Andrews character on the internet. I printed it to work from.
The coat is actually a priest’s robe from an old costume. The fit and length were perfect. I just had to pin the corners back so it would show the skirt.
The skirt I bought at the second hand store for $2.98. It was the wrong color blue (a very bright, light blue), but I picked up a box of Rit dye in navy and hoped it would darken it just enough. And, it did!
At the same 2nd hand store I found a green derby style hat, again only $2.98! It was a wicker type and so I was able to just push down the rounded top to make it flat. Then I spray painted it all black. At the craft store I got a daisy bunch for $1.99, and a berry candle ring for $3.99. I just hot-glued the separated flowers and berries in place.
I can sew and have lots of fabric on hand, so I made the carpet bag and the lace “shirt” (which is really only a ‘dickey’ made with some scrap white fabric and some lace I had). Some red ribbon finalized the top.
My final purchases were the umbrella ($4.00) and the scarf($6.00) which both came from Big Lots!