This year, 2010, my husband and I went as Mary Poppins and Bert in a classic DIY Mary Poppins couple costume. I actually had some good Mary Poppins and Bert couple Halloween costume ideas and inspiration from this site! :-)
Making the Mary Poppins Couple Costume
- I found her blouse and skirt at a thrift store $2
- Her coat was gray and I spray painted it black because it was polyester and wouldn’t hold black dye. coat $7 spray paint $1
- Gloves came from thrift store $1
- Found bow tie at thrift store for 25 cents and sewed on a safety pin
- I made her carpet bag from material, I found for 50 cents at thrift store, a belt (handles) 75cents and an old purse for the clutch opening $2
- Made her umbrella by spray painting $1 an old umbrella black and hand making a parrot head out of polymer clay $6 (Wal-mart). I already had paint (acrylic) and I then glued it on the handle
- The tassel was found at a thrift store for 25cents.
- I already had black tights and the black shoes (which I found at Wal-mart about 3 years ago for $15)
- I found a white infant hat at a thrift store $1 sprayed it black $1, then bought daisies and berries at Michaels and hot glued them in place. $2.50
- The hippie wig I found at at Wal-mart for $8 and transformed it with hairspray and bobby pins to be Mary’s hair.
Making Bert’s Costume
- His pants were actually an old pair of my moms from years ago. lol but they worked
- His coat was from a thrift store $3
- Red sash, free at thrift store
- Dyed one of my husband’s old shirts black with r.i.t dye. $3
- Found his hat at thrift store for $5
- Used his own shoes
- For his chimney sweep broom I used
- a thin curtain for $2
- a Styrofoam piece $1
- a dollar store broom $1
- spray paint $1
- electrical tape (I already had)
- I pulled the bristles out of the broom and stuck them in the Styrofoam in the shape I needed. Then, I used the rod to poke a hole in the Styrofoam and hot glued the rod in. I then sprayed it black and after it dried, covered the rod with the electrical tape.
I hope you enjoy our Mary Poppins couple costume and good luck on your own! :-)
Take a look at some more cool Mary Poppins and Bert couple costumes…
1 thought on “Coolest Homemade Mary Poppins Couple Costume”
Thanks for posting- used the broom idea and your picture to help dress my son for school. Took less than ten minutes to make the chimney sweep once my husband took the broom apart for us.- and my son looked fantastic
Your comment has been sent successfully.