If she didn’t live under the sea, Ariel could be just another teenager as she’s wrapped up in her own troubles and misunderstood by her father. Take her out of the sea and explore these stunning DIY versions of Ariel costume ideas.
Spend your time warm on the sand with Ariel as a princess with legs. Or capture her in her fishy self with a beautiful green and blue mermaid tail. There are even costumes of Ariel as she emerges from the sea for the first time with legs wearing only a sheet!
You will even see a hipster little mermaid costume. Another awesome idea is a zombie Prince Eric with an innocent Ariel. These costume ideas are super unique as they highlight the range of possibilities within this homemade costume theme.
So as you create your DIY costume, use this splashy collection of Ariel the Little Mermaid costumes for inspiration!
Latest Ariel Costume Ideas
- Easy, Cheap and Amazing Little Mermaid Family CostumeMy Little girl really wanted to be a mermaid for Halloween- I don’t like buying things that everyone else can … Read more
- Beautiful Handmade Princess Ariel CostumeMy daughter loves princesses and dressing up to look like them! She wanted to be Ariel with legs! (Lol) Her … Read more
- DIY Hipster Ariel CostumeFor work we had all decided to dress up as DIsney characters. Naturally with my red hair I chose to … Read more
- Cute Little Mermaid Costume for an Infant GirlThis Is How I Created This Cute Little Mermaid Costume For An Infant Girl: The body of this Little Mermaid … Read more
- Amazing Ursula and Ariel Little Mermaid Illusion CostumeHi!I am a schoolteacher and I love to make a fun costume each year to wear to school. I made … Read more
- Sexy Ariel CostumeI’ve wanted to create an Ariel costume for a while, so I’m glad I finally did it this year! It … Read more
- Beautiful Ariel the Little Mermaid CostumeI have been pretty much obsessed with anything Disney, mermaid, Ariel and the ocean pretty much my whole life, and … Read more
- Zombie Prince Eric and Innocent Ariel Couple CostumeOKAY, so first off, I wanted to be little mermaid and my boyfriend Prince Eric, but with a horrifying twist! … Read more
- Little Mermaid Baby CostumesFor this Little Mermaid costume, I took apart a baby onsie to use as a pattern to make the top. … Read more
- Sexy Homemade Ariel CostumeI’ve always loved Disney, but what made me love it 100x more was doing the Disney College Program in the … Read more
- Little Mermaid (Ariel) Costume from ScratchI have always had a love for The Little Mermaid. The Little Mermaid, or Ariel, is my favorite from the … Read more
- Sexy Little Mermaid CostumeHalloween is my favorite time of year! I love to get creative with costumes and really wow everyone. Making your … Read more
Featured Ariel Costumes
For this Little Mermaid Costume you will need blue training bra or bathing suit top, two iron on sea shell patches (or make your own), about two yards shimmer blue fabric, one yard different fabric to contrast fins, thin batting to make fins “poofy” and realistic one zipper for back.
Make the fin trunk like you would make a long tube skirt but with a point on the front and back hem. There should be slits in both sides of skirt to allow comfortable movement. Make bottom of fins like a thin pillow. There should be four pieces in the same shape, two for the front and two for back.
Stitch lines in the fins to make them look divided or ribbed. Then attach to trunk. Glue or iron patches or homemade shells to bra or bathing suit top. Get a good red wig and you’re done! A pretty sea shell necklace would be a nice addition as well.
Total Spent: $40
Erin loves the Little Mermaid and so I made her an Ariel mermaid costume. The general pattern I got from the store. I altered it to make it warmer and better quality.
The body is a teal satin with a metallic dress material for the tail and waistline. The flesh-colored long sleeve top is lycra swimsuit liner. The orchid bra is sparkly lycra.
We purchased the Ariel wig from the Disney Store to complete the little mermaid costume. I also made the matching trick or treat bags. The costume took about a week to make.