Materials used for our Bobbleheads:
- 5 gallon bucket
- Masking tape
- Tri-fold boards
- Plastic Mesh
- Bicycle Helmet
- Old shoes
These costumes were fairly easy to make once we got started. The heads were made using a 5 gallon bucket as the base with newspaper and paper mache over top. Facial features were made by adding paper and masking tape to the face then paper maching over top of that. The inside of the buckets were stuffed with newspaper and a bicycle helmet was zip tied to the inside using a dremel to make holes. The mouth was also cut out with the Dremel for us to look through then plastic mesh (or plastic grid) was used to hide our eyes.
We then painted them according to the person we were representing, some using wigs for hair, some just using paper mache. The bases were made from tri-fold boards (like the ones you use for science fair projects). We cut half the soles out of old shoes and then holes through the bases so our feet would touch the ground (and give the disproportional look that Bobbleheads have).
We painted the names on for finishing touches and then hot glued a piece of elastic to the bottom of the bases so they would stay on our actual shoes. I must admit they were quite difficult to walk in and many people did not realize the bases were there (possibly due to them being black and the distracting size of our heads) and kept stepping on them. However they were a HUGE hit, everyone loved them leading to us spending much of the night taking photos and videos, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.