Coolest Homemade Sexy Ninja Turtle Costume
I was inspired by this website to create my Homemade Sexy Ninja Turtle Costume. My friends had little faith that a Ninja Turtle could actually be sexy, so I was left to the task of proving them wrong. After realizing, and basically succumbing to the fact that I haven’t the faintest idea how to sow, I took the easier route to create my costume. The items you need to purchase are below:
1. Buy a green leotard.
2. Buy yellow, red, a small amount of brown fabric and fabric glue (the red fabric doesn’t actually have to be red, but pick the corresponding color for your favorite Ninja Turtle).
3. Buy nude color stockings.
4. Buy the corresponding weapon. In my case, I had to purchase sais.
5. Buy heels, if necessary.
**6. You can buy the kid’s costume for Ninja Turtles, for about $12 at Wal-Mart. In the package, it comes with a turtle shell. If you don’t want to buy the kid’s costume, you can make a turtle shell by buying green fabric and stuffing.
To actually create the costume, pretend you’re doing Raphael (red) but adjust colors as necessary:
1. Put the leotard on, and trace an outline of your body shape for the yellow abdomen part. To give a more “shapely” appearance, the yellow should end up in a jelly-bean pattern. Cut the yellow fabric out and trace the sectional piece in quarters or sixths. Reference Ninja Turtle pictures for assistance. I used a black Sharpie for this.
2. Cut a strip of red fabric from your red fabric sheet. Measure the distance between your eyes and cut eye-holes accordingly. Cut a small triangular shape between the eyes to accommodate the nose – it’ll look funny until you do this. You will take this part of the costume off within 20 minutes of wearing it, so don’t get too picky – just make it good enough for pictures. Cut red strips for your elbows and, if you like, your knees. I find the knee strips detract from the overall appeal of the outfit so I don’t recommend them.
3. Creating the “shell” can be tricky – I recommend buying a very cheap turtle costume that has this included so you can steal this portion. I cut open the version that I purchased and stuffed in a little extra cotton – fake webs or cotton balls are perfect for this – and sewed it shut using regular sewing thread. Cut in on the seam at the bottom or inside of the shell to avoid unsightly evidence of your poor sewing skills. Cut a strip of brown fabric that is long enough to overlap by several inches when wrapped around the newly stuffed turtle shell and your abdomen.
4. Attach adhesive Velcro to the ends of this brown strip, and measure where it will contact the shell. Hot glue these portions – the shell will be attached to you by this belt, and attached to the belt via thoroughly applied hot glue. Very secure.
5. If you get ambitious, and depending on the version of the cartoon you watched, you may want the first initial of your ninja turtle to be on your belt. I used a round piece of white felt, and used the Sharpie to draw in an “R” for Raphael. Hot glue this to the center of your belt+shell+Velcro combo, after you’ve put it on.
6. Put the stockings on first, put the leotard on (you will put it on backwards at least once, check first), then the belt and shell, then the knee/arm pads, weapons, and lastly the mask. Prepare to have an extremely fun Halloween!
Note: You will receive a LOT of attention in this outfit. If the leotard feels too exposed to you, a green skirt can be added to “cover” some of the costume. ENJOY!