Show your smarts this Halloween with these brilliantly unique and clever wordplay costumes. Check out this collection here of incredibly witty and fantastically funny homemade costumes.
Get people to stop in their tracks as they figure out your brainy costume. In addition, use the costumes here to inspire your imagination. The possibilities are enormously fun. Even better, constructing a wordplay costume can be fast and cheap.
For instance, take a look at how costumers here pulled off a Freudian slip, a cereal killer and a carpool. More examples include, one night stands, pot heads, spice girls, sand-witches and ceiling fans. Don’t even consider getting a store-bought costume! The potential for homemade costumes in this section is just too awesome.
So, don’t panic if you are stuck without a costume idea. Get inspired by these DIY wordplay costumes. Then, go and create your own for Halloween!
Latest Wordplay Costumes
- Cool Wordplay Costume: Do the Harlem Shake!I’m a Halloween nut. Last year I spent weeks sewing a Honey Boo Boo pageant dress and, despite much protest … Read more
- Sexy and Fun Homemade Costume Idea: One Night Stand!Oh dear, I really didn’t know how this was all going to work out, but after going to many thrift … Read more
- Cool Homemade Punny Tiger Woods CostumeThis was my interpretation of Tiger Woods. The Tree or woods part of the costume was made from a trip … Read more
- Simple but Brilliant Dirt Bag / Pot Head Costume for any Age and any GenderUs girls were at our weekly happy hour, on my deck, brain-storming on what we wanted to be for Halloween. … Read more
- Original Zom-Bee Homemade Halloween CostumeMy daughter and her Zombee costume! My daughter hates to be “pretty” for Halloween, every year it’s a Vampire, Witch … Read more
- Coolest Farmer In The Dell CostumeMy daughter came home from preschool one day singing “Farmer in the Dell” and the idea just clicked. My husband … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Running Fridge CostumeI’m always running (training for my first marathon), always hungry and, since all the boxes at work seem to get … Read more
- Easy Last Minute It’s Raining Men CostumeSo every year I do a theme party for Halloween. This year, the theme was “Name that Tune”. It was … Read more
- Butter-Fly Wordplay CostumeI recently transferred to a different office within my company, so when I heard that my new office was having … Read more
- Punniest Costume Ever: Brainstorm CostumeHalloween is the one time of the year to get creative and dress up in a unique one of a … Read more
- Family Tree CostumeI used a pop-up laundry basket for the torso of the costume and covered it with a large turtle neck … Read more
- Taco Belle Wordplay CostumeI bought a Belle dress and wig. Then I bought a bunch of felt and made an apron out of … Read more
Featured NAME Costumes
I recently transferred to a different office within my company, so when I heard that my new office was having a Halloween costume contest, I knew I needed to make a great impression! My husband and I do a couple’s costume every year, but since he doesn’t work in my office, I knew my costume had to stand alone. I knew it needed to be original and I wanted it to reflect my creativity and my fun-loving personality. So I decided to be a beautiful “butter fly,” a fly in a stick of butter. So funny! Read more »
Every year I design my costume to be a historical figure pun. This year, my mother suggested Pink Freud, and I started working out how to best emulate Sigmund Freud with as much pink as possible. To mimic portraits of Freud, I required a few items that were simply unavailable in stores, the most significant of which was an 1800s-style pink three piece suit. Read more »