Garden and insect costumes are so brilliant. Think of everything you love about the outdoors just without the dirt, slime and creepy crawlies. Truly, the Halloween costume ideas featured in this impressive collection will stun you with their beauty.
One extremely popular costume choice in this section are lovely butterfly costumes. Especially noteworthy are the awesome glow-in-the-dark wings people have made here. They have kindly shared their DIY costume secrets so you can try them at home.
Of course, no garden would be complete without a scarecrow. The scarecrow costumes here are more than just clothes stuffed hay. It’s amazing to see the unique and artistic takes on each one. In addition, you will find spiders and spider webs, snails and even praying mantises.
Even more ideas include flowers, trees and garden ornaments. Enjoy this rustic inspired DIY costume section, and connect to your wilder, natural side!
Latest Garden and Insect Costumes
- Stages of Life DIY Family Costume: A Gardener and his DandelionsMy daughters and I went as dandelion flowers at different stages of life (as we all are of course), and … Read more
- Coolest DIY Spider and Fly Child CostumesIf you’ve ever worked with faux fur than you know it gets EVERYWHERE! Hahaha I feel like we’ve been eating … Read more
- Cool DIY Sackboy Caterpillar Costume from Sackboy: A Big AdventureHere’s the story behind our Sackboy caterpillar costume – My daughter wanted to be a caterpillar for Halloween and really … Read more
- Coolest Freaky Fruit Flies Group CostumeEvery Halloween, we challenge ourselves to out-do the costumes we made the previous year. For 2022, we decided to be … Read more
- Scary Scarecrow CostumeOkay, so I am a huge fan of Halloween. I consider myself to be a Halloween enthusiast, lol! With the … Read more
- Last-Minute Original Chia Head CostumeI have always wanted my kids to do this Chia head costume for Halloween and they never would. My office … Read more
- Easy and Amazing Homemade Lighted FireFly Costume for AnyoneI have been making handmade costume for 28 years. I strted when my own children were young, I was a … Read more
- Cool Itsy Bitsy DIY Toddler Spider CostumeHere’s the story behind making my child’s DIY toddler spider costume. She may only be three, but she knows exactly … Read more
- Easy Do-it-Yourself Lady Bug Costume IdeasMy daughter’s lady bug costume is store-bought, but the baby’s costume is homemade. It’s a felt bodysuit, with studs at … Read more
- Cool Pile of Leaves Costumes and Other Easy Halloween Costume IdeasI was searching for easy Halloween costume ideas and this is what I came up with. This is my daughter … Read more
- Cool Venus Flytrap Creative Halloween Costume IdeasI was dreaming up creative Halloween costume ideas and one day while sitting in a friend’s apartment I noticed a … Read more
- Cool DIY Fly Costumes and Great Ideas for Insect CostumesMy son is crazy about bugs. We gave him ideas for insect costumes and he decided to be a fly. … Read more
Featured Garden and Insect Halloween Costume Ideas
I wanted to create a couple’s costume for my husband Philip and myself that was different and funny – here’s our Chia head and Chia Pet costume. Plus…who doesn’t love 80’s nostalgia. I started off by making the Chia head. Then I spray painted a bald cap green with paint I already had. I bought a bald cap for $5 and two artificial vines from the craft store 2x $8 with my coupon. Read more »
My 4 kids have always loved building and creating things, especially my youngest. Halloween has long been her favorite holiday. We get to build, paint and sew her costume (which then become part of the ever growing dress-up collection). This last year has seen her develop an obsession with snails. She builds homes for them, feeds them, etc. She even competes with her brothers to see how many she can stick on her face! Read more »
We started by trying to think of a family costume idea with things that light up and I came up with lightning bugs. Then we started to figure out what goes with lightning bugs that everyone could be and we came up with a little girl catching lightning bugs in a jar. I was the little girl, my husband was the jar and our kids were the lightning bugs. Read more »
Here’s the story behind making my child’s DIY toddler spider costume. She may only be three, but she knows exactly what she wants. Long before Halloween, I anticipated she wanted to be Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony. She loves that show. But then two months prior to Halloween, she decided that she wanted to be a spider (thank you Curious George Boo Fest Movie)! Honestly, I was as excited… Read more »