This year, 2010, my husband and I went as Mary Poppins and Bert. I actually had some good Mary Poppins and Bert couple Halloween costume ideas and inspiration from this site! :-)
* I found her blouse and skirt at a thrift store $2
* Her coat was gray and I spray painted it black because it was polyester and wouldn’t hold black dye. coat $7 spray paint $1
* Gloves came from thrift store $1
* Found bow tie at thrift store for 25 cents and sewed on a safety pin
* made her carpet bag from material, I found for 50 cents at thrift store, a belt (handles) 75cents and an old purse for the clutch opening $2
* Made her umbrella by spray painting $1 an old umbrella black and hand making a parrot head out of polymer clay $6 (Wal-mart). I already had paint (acrylic) and I then glued it on the handle
* I found the tassel at a thrift store for 25cents.
* I already had black tights and the black shoes (which I found at Wal-mart about 3 years ago for $15)
* I found a white infant hat at a thrift store $1 sprayed it black $1, then bought daisies and berries at Michaels and hot glued them in place. $2.50
* bought a hippie wig at Wal-mart $8 and transformed it with hairspray and bobby pins to be Mary’s hair.
* His pants were actually an old pair of my moms from years ago. lol but they worked
* His coat was from a thrift store $3
* Red sash, free at thrift store
* Dyed one of my husband’s old shirts black with r.i.t dye. $3
* Found his hat at thrift store for $5
* Used his own shoes
* For his chimney sweep broom I used a thin curtain for $2, a Styrofoam piece $1, a dollar store broom $1, spray paint $1, and electrical tape (I already had) – I pulled the bristles out of the broom and stuck them in the Styrofoam in the shape I needed. I then used the rod to poke a hole in the Styrofoam and hot glued the rod in. I then sprayed it black and after it dried, covered the rod with the electrical tape.
I hope you enjoy our Mary Poppins and Bert couple Halloween costume ideas and good luck on your own! :-)