I was looking everywhere for a black 2 piece suit for the Beetlejuice Halloween costume. I later realized a white suit (like for a baptism) would be ideal, because it is easier to paint black on white than vice versa. I found the 3 piece white suit at a thrift store, for half off!!
I also searched that same thrift store thoroughly for a simple black tie. I went home and used black acrylic paint with a brush that was about 1" thick. I started painting stripes from top to bottom starting with the jacket front, then the front of the pants. Later, after it dried, I flipped the jacket/ pants and painted stripes down the back sides of both. It would have been much cleaner had I used tape to mask off sections of stripes, but I found my guests liked the less precise, "messy" stripes (they felt it added to the Halloween effect).
After it dried out in the sun, I cut the tie, which was too long for my 1.5 yr old, and secured it on him with a safety pin. I left the white undershirt unpainted. I then painted his face white, and added black circles around his eyes and a slight mustache (inspired from Beetlejuice movie covers). Then, I teased and hair sprayed my son's hair (which is naturally very curly).
Lastly, after several teasing and spraying sessions, I sprayed the front portion of his hair white, and voila!!! A mini-Beetlejuice emerged!
My brother asked me to make him a Beetlejuice costume for a Halloween party he was going to, he asked me the day before so I did not have much time.
I took a black suit that he already owned and painted the white stripes down it. I copied a photo from the film off the internet - this took me ages and it took a long time to dry, in fact it was still wet when my Brother put it on.
I got a granny wig that was platted as it was the only one that I could find that would work. I took out the plaits and cut it to make it resemble the real hair of beetlejuice, I then sprayed it with white hair spray and also added green and black face paint to it.
For the face I used white face paint and covered the whole face, I then used black around the eyes and red lipstick. I also used black and green around the top of the head and down the side of the face and on the neck.
My brother wore a cream shirt and black tie to complete the look.
He won the competition at the party. Total time taken was a whole day and it cost about $20 as all I had to buy was the wig and white hair spray as I already had the rest of the stuff needed.
To make Beetlejuice's costume, we bought a dark over sized suit from a thrift store and put pinstripes on it using white tape. We stuffed a white t-shirt to make the belly. We used a photo from the movie to pattern the make-up, and reworked a grey wig to make the hair.
For Lydia's costume, we found a red dress at a thrift shop and reworked it a bit to look like the dress from the marriage scene. We bought red tulle from a fabric store and made a veil. The make up and hair was patterned after a photo from the movie.