For this Halloween I wanted to do something memorable, as it would probably be my last year going out trick or treating. I came up with the scary tooth fairy idea while browsing Pinterest for costume ideas and saw an amazing mask that I wanted to try and make.

I came up with the scary tooth fairy idea while browsing Pinterest for costume ideas and saw an amazing mask that I wanted to try and make.

The first step was sculpting. I started off using a reference image of the mask I was trying to recreate and then just went my own way with it once I had the basic shapes I wanted down. I then detailed and smoothed the sculpture to prepare it for casting.

I had never cast one of my sculptures successfully so I was really worried to fail. I bought a whole bunch of plaster and plaster bandages. When the time came I covered the sculpture in cooking spray and baby powder to try and aid in the demolding of the sculpture.

Then I made up a thin batch of plaster to paint into the details of the sculpture. Then several thicker batches of plaster to thicken and strengthen the mold in-between layers of plaster bandages. I then left the mold for several days to dry before I demolded it.

During demolding, the original sculpture was destroyed but I was left with an almost perfect mold. To fix the mold I filled in the air bubbles with clay and sanded the rough patched down.

Then I cast the mask with latex, making sure to brush the latex into all the crevices first. Then thickening the mask just enough so it would hold its shape, but still be light enough to stay on my face. When demolding the mask, I made sure to cover it in baby powder so the latex did not stick to itself.

For the fairy wings, I bought 20 gauge wire and florists tape. I drew out the wing shape I wanted on a large piece of paper and bent and cut the wire to fit the shape. Then I taped the wire pieces together with the florist’s tape making sure to make the joints really secure so the wings didn’t fall apart halfway through the night. After that, I cut two pieces of cellophane and heat shrunk the cellophane onto the wire frame. I then repeated the process until the rest of the wire frame was covered in cellophane and then made the other wing.

When out on Halloween night, many people commented on how amazing my costume was. Many people took pictures with me and overall I had a great Halloween