Coolest Homemade CostumesHomemade Costume Contest

Coolest DIY Mad Hatter Halloween Costume 53

by Nikki Dial
(Fredonia, AL USA)

DIY Mad Hatter Halloween Costume

DIY Mad Hatter Halloween Costume

DIY Mad Hatter Halloween Costume
DIY Mad Hatter Halloween Costume
DIY Mad Hatter Halloween Costume
DIY Mad Hatter Halloween Costume

I decided to do a Tim Burton's DIY Mad Hatter Halloween costume. I knew it would be something fun & creative.

I found most of my items at Goodwill. The coat, shirt, vest, pants, bowtie scarf and cuffs around the sleeves. I did not have to make any changes to the coat or shirt. I found a men's vest but it was too small, but I held on to it. Later I found a women's plus size vest & skirt. This worked out perfectly. I took the backing off the larger vest & sewed it to the smaller vest fronts.

The pants were originally white & too big in the legs so I took them up then made them flare slightly at the bottom then I dyed them green. I put thin masking tape down them then spray painted them with purple spray paint. That made them striped.

I found a top hat at a Halloween store. I used the skirt that had been with the larger vest for the material on the hat. I sewed it on, then went back over it with black mesh material. I used a pink material to make the hats sash. I even sewed a small flower design on the end of the sash hanging in the back (you can see in the movie that there is a flower pattern sewn on the sash). I found a peacock feather at Hobby Lobby.

I used large sewing needles & attached different items to top them off for the hat pins. I also had the 10/6 label with burned edges tucked into the sash. I took some long string material & added the thread to make my thread bandoleer. I made my pincushion ring out of a bottle top. Put two holes in the bottle top and put a small ponytail holder cut in half through the holes & tie it together. Sew a 3' dia. piece of material so that you can pull it together, & stuff with filling. Hot glue the pulled together end into the cap & you have a pincushion ring. I glued ribbon around the side of the bottle top so you couldn't tell what it was.

I had the striped socks already. I added different ribbon to the side of the jacket with a safety pin. I used an old curtain I found at Good Will to make the cuffs. I cut off some old gloves to make them fingerless. Regular Halloween make up was used for the face & eyes, but I found that eye shadow works better than the Halloween make-up.

I even had the contacts that made my eyes yellow, but you really couldn't tell because my hair was so bright. For the eyelashes I used hair extensions that I had gotten for breast cancer awareness. They were hot pink. I sprayed them orange. I used 3 cans of orange hair spray (the washable kind) to make my hair orange. I think that is everything. It took about 3 weeks working on it, but I loved every minute. I was really happy with the end result.

Click here to post comments

Return to Movie and Book Character Costumes 1.