I started working on this Homemade Scorpion Costume in June, ordering various pieces from Ebay and Amazon. The armor is shin guards modified with spikes, skulls, and spray paint. I took studded gloves from a Halloween store, removed the studs, added spikes on the knuckles and spray painted the mortal kombat symbol. I'm wearing a Ninja suit from Amazon, with home made tabards over it. The mask was an airsoft mask I ordered from Ebay. I removed the attached goggles, added spikes, spray painted it black, and painted the inside of the mouth holes yellow. The ninja swords I purchased from a Halloween store and the balaclava from amazon. I'm also wearing a studded belt, skull buckle, and scube diving booties.
The part I had the most difficulty figuring out was the kunai dart. I ended up ordering plastic darts from ebay and attaching one to gardening wire. I was able to wrap the wire around my wrist inside of the glove and slice a hole in the glove for the dart to come out. Lastly, the contacts I was able to order online. This is one of four costumes I have been working on since June for a group of friends all going as Mortal Kombat characters.
This is a homemade moth costume I created for my friend. I made a bodysuit out of fuzzy gray material and pinned it together between the legs and let it bunch up a little, so the legs would look more bug-like. I bought a pair of sweater textured tights for the legs and made black pointy feet out of a pair of “witch boot” covers.
I made the moth butt out of some brown nubby material by cutting out a simple snowman shape on two pieces of material and sewing them together. I then stuffed the moth butt with old pillow stuffing and attached it by sewing it to two strips of material that were tied around the waist underneath the body suit.
I finished it off with a pair of wings from the dollar store, which I attached shredded gauzy strips of material to and later spray painted silver. And finally, a cheap grey wig, which was pinned up to form a beehive, with antennae stuck in the folds of hair. This was also spray painted silver. The face was painted grey with a cheap face paint kit and she wore big false eyelashes. She was the hit of the party in her homemade moth costume!
I loved Chia Pets when they were popular in the 80s/early 90s, so this Homemade Chia Pet Costume was my attempt as a homage to it. I purchased aquarium plants and attached them to a green t-shirt… one by one. It was a labor of love that took about 8 hours to get it to a full coat. I used three different types of aquarium plants to give it a textured look. They were held together on plastic grids that held the plants through prongs.
I made strategic holes in the shirt and snapped each of the leaves back on. I lined parts of the interior of the shirt with felt so it wouldn’t poke me too much throughout the day. It was actually pretty comfortable and not cumbersome at all.
Another difficult task was to find a shirt and leggings that were the same exact color. I bought two pairs of leggings and cut out the middle crotch part of the leggings and wore it as a shirt instead. So, two pairs of orange leggings, a green shirt, animal ears and lots and lots of aquarium plants.