I really wanted to make a costume that directly incorporated my dreadlocks. After playing with them for a while, I realized that if I put them in a ponytail directly on top of my head they sort of stood up, and looked like the top of a carrot.
I was afraid green hair dye wouldn't entirely wash out, even if it wasn't permanent. So instead some friends helped wrap each dreadlock individually with green yarn. It actually gave it a much leafier look.
I wore all orange: a vest, Soffe shorts, footless tights and some old pointy shoes of a friend that she let me spray-paint. My friend Lisa helped me turn a pair of buttons into earrings by prying off the button loop and gluing on earring posts. Then I twist-tied four twist ties together (straight from the grocery store) and tied them around the bunch. It, along with some orange eye-shadow and lipstick brought the whole look together.
Much thanks to Jenna, Nicole, Lisa and Nick for their help and to Mona for showing up as a rabbit and making for such great photos!
My one daughter was a bunny, so it was fitting to make her twin sister a carrot! For this carrot costume, I got a 3T orange sweatshirt at a second-hand shop. My mother and I cut the stomach and back off of the sweatshirt and turned the cut edges under to make it neat. We sewed the wrist parts of the sweatshirt together at the bottom of the carrot and stuffed the sleeves of the sweatshirt with polyfill.
For the hat, we created a cap out of the orange material that was left over from the stomach and back of the sweatshirt so that it was the same color as the carrot. We used velcro under her chin to keep the cap on. I took a piece of foam and formed it into a triangular/cone shape, about the size of an ice cream cone and covered it in green tulle. I brought the tulle up around the cone and tied the top with green thread to gather it together. We hand-stitched the green cone to the top of the orange cap to create a dramatic top!