Losing yourself in a movie or a book is the best. It’s a total immersion experience where the rest of your life dissolves in a puddle of to-do lists and dentist appointments. For a true disguise this Halloween, check out this spectacular collection of DIY movie and book character costumes.
There are so many different genres of movies and books, but what they all share is the desire to transport the viewer to another realm. They will sweep you away from real life into the movie planet where anything is possible.
In addition, discover the coolest instructions in order to construct your own homemade movie and book character costumes. Even better, get inspiration here from the amazing costume creators here to come up with your own DIY costume design.
The only limit is your imagination! So delve into the world of make believe and be amazed what you can accomplish.
Latest Book and Movie Character Costumes
- Fun DIY Costume by a Kindergarten Teacher: David from “No, David!” Children’s BookEvery year our school has a book character parade. I teach kindergarten so I am always looking for a costume … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Yoda and Rebel Pilot Couple CostumeMy husband is a HUGE Star wars fan so I allowed him to pick our Halloween costumes this year and … Read more
- Original Two-Faced Black Swan CostumeOriginally, I just wanted to do the black swan, and wondered how I could set it apart from other black … Read more
- Homemade Thorin Oakenshield Costume: Is it Male or Female? You Decide!First off as the title says is Thorin a male or female, of course he’s a male but when worn … Read more
- Cool Homemade Dr. Seuss Cat in the Hat Costume IdeasMy Godson has a Dr. Seuss themed bedroom so I told his mom I would make him the Cat in … Read more
- Cool Homemade Hellraiser and Pinhead Costume IdeasWhat to be for Halloween was the question on my mind. Browsing threw online sites of the same costumes for … Read more
- Cool DIY Anchorman Costumes and Lots of Character Costume IdeasI searched the web for cool character costume ideas and finally decided on the Anchorman theme. My friends and I … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Wizard of Oz Costume IdeasThis all started because we were the Spirit Committee at work. So we needed to come up with an idea … Read more
- Show Stopping DIY Violet Beauregard Blueberry Costume from Charlie and the Chocolate FactoryThis Violet Beauregard Blueberry costume from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was the talk of the town! Exercise ball, newspaper, flour … Read more
- Coolest Homemade Wonderland Family Costume: Alice, Cheshire Cat, Queen of Hearts, White Rabbit and Mad Hatter CostumesOur Wonderland Costumes…Don’t call me crazy, just call me “Mad”. Disclaimer: Just know that I am NOT a super seamstress…creative, maybe…but … Read more
- Awesome Homemade Sauron Costume from Lord of the RingsOur family loves to dress up in costumes and I am always up for a creative challenge. When my son … Read more
- Homemade Devil Couple Costume Based on LegendThis is not an easy costume but is guaranteed to get the WOW factor from any Halloween party or costume … Read more
Featured Book and Movie Character Costumes
I’ve always wanted to create these classic couple costumes. I grew up watching the movie Mary Poppins and I loved the characters and the costumes. This Halloween, my boyfriend and I decided to create homemade costumes for Mary Poppins and Bert (the chimney sweep from Mary Poppins). I’m a bit (okay a lot) obsessed with Halloween and DIY costumes and I love couple costumes. I started prepping these in early September. Read more »
Our family loves the movie Guardians of the Galaxy, so it was a given we would convince our kids this was the Halloween theme we needed to go with. We’ve been dressing up as a family since the kids were born, and each year our costumes get more elaborate. From our Guardians of the Galaxy family costume, my husband’s Groot costume took the most time, so I’ll explain the steps he took to build it. Read more »