My boyfriend and I went to a Halloween party hosted by a freshman organization at our school Baylor University. At first we were going to be lame and just dress funky, but I found an idea online for Peanuts couple costumes. Because my boyfriend didn't really want to help (he thought it was a waste of time because he figured it would fail) I made the costumes by myself, though I did coax him into cutting the holes for the head and helping me draw the faces (he's much more artistic than I).
I don't have stage-by-stage pictures because I was frantically trying to finish them the day of the party. The construction consisted of buying extra large balloons, I used the kind that you tie to a rubber band and bounce against your hand. I blew up the balloons (two of them) and paper-mached them, just like we all learned in elementary art class. I used newspaper and a flour and water mixture. I had to do about 3 layers on each head, so it was a bit time consuming to wait for the layers to dry. Once dry, I painted the heads a peachy skin color and let dry.
My boyfriend cut the holes for the heads and we popped the balloons and took them out. He then drew the faces on and I glued Lucy's hair in place. He cut the eyes out and voila!
The clothes came from goodwill, we lucked out on the blue dress and the yellow shirt. I glued on fake felt buttons for Lucy and stitched on Charlie Brown's famous design. Then we were off to the party where everybody asked to take our picture. It was a successful night!
I came up with the idea of a Peanut Butter and Jelly costume so that my daughter and son would be a good match. For the basic shape of the costume, I purchased an old soda can costume sewing pattern from eBay. More importantly, I looked at the various brands of PB and J in the store, to see which would be most recognizable and most easily re-produced freehand.
The actual Jif label came with me to the fabric store so the colors could be matched exactly. I created the word Jif by making patterns of the letters with pieces of cardboard, traced onto the white fabric. The fine writing below the label I used fabric paint and did freehand. The lip of the jar I used ribbon that had the fine ridges.
As for the jelly, I simplified and incorporated a few different models of the Welch's jelly labels. The fine writing under the Welch's is purple fabric paint. The grapes were my favorite. I went to the quilting section of the store and bought three different shades of purple in the pre-cut squares. One was splotchy, one glittery and one solid, to try to give the illusion that the grapes were damp with dew. I also used 3 similar, but different household objects to trace the shape of the grapes. I used a quarter, the end of a child's toy, etc. The edge of the jar cover was a smooth purple ribbon. I had also brought the Welch's label with me, so that I could copy the colors exactly.
The costumes truly had a timeless appeal to everyone, and were so much fun, as they were something everyone could relate to.
Comments for Coolest Homemade Peanut Butter and Jelly Costume