When my 4 kids wanted to be the Peanuts gang for Halloween, your site was the first place I hit - and got great ideas for paper mache heads for the 3 older ones. (I made the mouths wide open for two of them so the little ones could see better. Also, I used yarn over Styrofoam and toilet paper rolls for Lucy's hair. (I'll send an additional picture with all 4 costumes.)
We came up short on Snoopy Halloween costume ideas, though, because my 3 year old won't wear a mask over his whole face. I was able to solve the problem by adapting a Simplicity pattern (3663) for a parrot costume into Snoopy. I purchased white fur and black felt and white fun foam. The body is essentially a jump suit and I made my own sleeves and tail. A single felt spot on the back made it Snoopy-authentic.
The head piece required more alteration. I began with a basic hood and made a slight change from beak shape to beagle for the fun foam snout. The fun foam works fantastically! It holds a great shape, you can sew right onto it and it doesn't have to be stuffed. I added ears and stuffed them just a little. The nose tip is a black rubber ball that I was able to straight pin right to the snout.
Felt shapes finished the eyes, smile and "hand-drawn" ears.
This year our department opted to go with the Peanuts Halloween costume. We started with the ideas on this site to create large heads out of paper mache. We followed simple paper mache directions using 3-4 coats of paper mache letting each layer dry completely in between.
Each head was created using flesh spray paint, felt, pipe cleaners or yarn for the hair, felt for the mouth and foam balls for the ears and nose. For the eyes we hot glued a couple of layers of black mesh so people couldn’t see inside the eyes. We weren’t really sure on how to get this project to work perfectly so we played around with the materials we had and it worked out well.
For Snoopy we duct taped a 2 liter pop bottle and covered it with white felt. For Woodstock we stuffed the front nose with batting to make it thicker.
This is a very easy yet time consuming project that took a few weeks to have all completed.