There were three main parts to this Homemade Butterfly Catcher Costume, the net, hat and clothes. The only thing that I needed to buy was pith helmet, net fabric, and fake butterflies. I bought a 9 pack of orange butterflies for about $10 that happened to be at a museum that I was at.
For the net, I bought about two feet of fabric that looked like something you would make a net out of. I sewed it into a bag shape and put an embroidery hoop on the end. I took a dowel that I had lying around and wrapped a wire around the end to the hoop.
For the helmet, you could use a pith helmet like me or a safari hat. I cut three wires a little longer than a foot. The hat was made of foam so I stuck the three wires through the top and stuck butterflies on the ends. If I walked around or made sudden movements, the butterflies would bounce and move, as if flying around me.
For my clothes, I wore khaki pants, a button down shirt and brown shoes. I pinned on three butterflies randomly on open spaces on my clothes. I left three butterflies left over just in case some broke ( and some did later at my school dance).
Overall, people complimented me all day at school on my costume. My mom wore all black and had butterfly wings that matched my costume.
I made this Homemade Praying Mantis Costume for my 4 year old son and he couldn’t have been more pleased! For the head, I started with some wire screen and molded it with 2 tennis balls around a baseball hat. I secured it all down with painters tape, painted it with craft paint, and attached two pipe cleaners as antenna.
The thorax is made with the same wire mesh, molded into a vest, and then covered with paper mache. After drying, I painted it the same color as the head and attached a “name tag” that read “Mr. Mantis, Eat. Prey. Yum.” so that neighbors would know he was a mantis and not a grasshopper or other green insect.
My friend donated some green fabric she no longer needed, and I sewed pants and a modified cape with an abdomen, which I stuffed with the stuffing from an old pillow. At the end of the arms, I sewed on the “pinchers” and stuffed them with the same stuffing from the pillow, leaving an opening for his little hands so he could still gather Halloween treats.
As you know, insects have six legs, so I sewed two fabric tubes and filled them with two empty wrapping paper rolls. I bent them and gathered the fabric at the joint and punched two holes in the top end to thread with fabric scraps and attach to the vest.
This VB Spartan Warrior is a suit I made from VB cartons (Aussie beer). It took me a while to make but I was happy with it. I just asked the guy at the Bottlo to keep all the empty cartons for me and I ended up with about 30 cartons to play around with.
The helmet I had to use some thick wire in to help stand up and some elastic for the arm and leg bits but other than that its all just stapled together.