This Homemade Spongebob Squarepants Costume was FUN to wear and easy to make from Dollar Store finds! This costume cost me less than $10.00!
Supplies needed: white T shirt (or yellow) name tag red tie or long strip of red fabric assorted sponges (dollar store has them in variety packs) headband, I used a winter knitted ski headband (or use a hat) white tube sox, red and blue magic markers black shoes and brown shorts white, blue, red and black face makeup hot glue
1. Place a piece of cardboard inside the T-shirt to protect the back from getting stuck to the front. Using a hot glue gun, attach various sponges all over your T-shirt, front, back and sleeves. Be sure to leave a space for the name tag on the chest.
2. Use a name tag sticker or any other type of name badge and write: BOB on it. Attach to shirt.
3. Use a red men's tie around your neck (thrift store) or take a long strip of red fabric, fold it and tie it just like a man's necktie. You could also cut a tie shape from red felt and glue it to the shirt.
4. Draw one red and one blue stripe on upper cuff of tube sox.
5. For headband, hot glue more sponges all over it. You could also use a baseball cap or other hat, a regular headband, or even clip sponges directly to your hair.
6. For face, use Halloween makeup to make eyes blue, white circles around eyes, and then outline with black. Draw on eyelashes. Use red from freckles and lips.
7. Put on any brown shorts and black shoes. I also wore some dumb fish earrings.
8. When you get to the party, and people start trying to guess who you are, act stupid and sing the song from the show: "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?"
It would be cute to carry a stuffed snail (Spongebob has a pet snail) or a pineapple (he lives in a pineapple).