Princess Fiona and Shrek are our favorite cartoon characters, so this year we decided to dress like them. Everyone loved our homemade Shrek and Princess Fiona couple costume and we received so many compliments.
We had to do a lot of searching around to find material for our costumes. Most pieces are from second-hand stores and dollar stores. The most expensive item is the official Fiona wig. Originally, I (Fiona) was going to dye my hair red, but I didn’t have the time. Instead I purchased the wig online.
Shrek’s costume consisted of the following:
– a white long-sleeved shirt (purchased from
a thrift store)
– checked pyjama bottoms (already owned)
– vest (cut to appear small like Shrek’s)
– brown belt (purchased from a thrift store)
– makeup (purchased from dollar store)
– bald cap (purchased at party supply store)
– ears (paper mache)
– super glue to attach ears to the bald cap (be
careful when attempting this!)
– green socks and brown sandals (already owned)
Fiona’s costume consisted of the following:
– blue satin dress (thrift store)
– wig (Purchased online)
– ribbon (dollar store)
– fabric glue (Wal-Mart)
– green knee-highs (dollar store)
– green socks (dollar store)
– makeup (dollar store)
– blue sandals (already owned)
– To make Shrek’s ears, we purchased a bald cap and made our own ears out of paper mache. We moulded the shape of the ears with clay, then covered them with paper mache. It took a lot of time and effort to get the ears right, but we did it. Using the oven on low heat to dry the paper mache worked wonders.
– After the ears were completely dry, we painted them and then glued them to the bald cap. Once the glue set for 24 hours, we then used makeup to color the bald cap.
– Green and gold ribbon was added to Fiona’s dress. Fabric glue held the ribbon on perfectly. We let the ribbon set for 24 hours, and it didn’t budge at all.
– When applying the makeup, we used a skin color concealer first. It helped allow the makeup to stay on longer and was easier to wash off. We used three tubes of green face paint between the both of us.
– Fiona’s makeup was applied once all the green paint was dry. A quick swipe of eye shadow, mascara, blush and red lipstick made the look even better. Fake eyelashes are always a great way to make eyes pop!