This Medusa Costume was a bit challenging to make, but I was very pleased with the outcome. I fortunately had the gold dress already, so I purchased the gold thong shoes to match. That was the easy part.
The Heard Parts: The head dress/snakes: I bought two fleece blankets, one brown and one green. Began cutting out the snake pattern and the sewed the green on top of the brown, to give it a bit more color and possible realism feel. I believe I sewed 14 of them and stuffed that cotton stuff in them that you get from a craft store like Michaels. (For the life of me I can't remember what it's called and am too lazy to find out) I purchased a Rasta wig, and used the dreads to be a guide for my snakes. I attached wire hangers, by spiraling and weaving around the dread locks, and then put my snake sleeves over those. I then took apart a billed adjustable hat (baseball cap), took off the bill part and attached the whole wig with snakes to the cap part of the hat with safety pins. This gave me a really nice, tight fit. To hide the remainder of the cap, I had a "snake like" patterned scarf, and wrapped it around the entire cap.
Make up: I used a lot of green face paint mixed with a little black and a little white for the base. Then to add the scales, I used a plastic potato smasher, and basically used it like a stamp, by stamping it in the black, and green paint, carelessly, and then stamping it on my skin. I then went back and highlighted a few scales with white paint, with a very thin brush.
I loved this costume, the outcome was awesome, and I did win best original for this.