Coolest Homemade Mario, Luigi, Toad and Princess Daisy Group Costume
So this yr we decided to dress up as Super Mario Bros characters, since my 4yr old son wanted to be Luigi. Dad was Mario, baby brother was Toad and I was Princess Daisy.
For the Mario and Luigi, I simply purchases overalls with red and green long sleeve shirts. I found 80% of the clothing articles at a thrift store. I added yellow buttons to the overalls, which were made from felt and attached with a glue gun.
For the hats, I purchased 2 solid colored caps from a sporting good store and added the white circle and coordinating letter w/felt and attached with the glue gun. The mustaches were cut out from a large 8×10 felt material that had adhesive on the back side, which I purchased at Michaels. They also wore simple white knit gloves I purchased for a $1 each!
For the toad costume, I cut up an old blue shirt right down the middle and removed about 2 in of width. I used fabric adhesive to glue the ribbon along the edge of the shirt. For the hat, I purchased a ½ yd of white felt. I cut out a huge circle and sewed about an inch around the edge of the circle. I then put an elastic band the size of my baby’s head thru the edge and sewed the elastic to the edge. I simply added red circles cut from felt and attached them with the glue gun. Lastly, I stuffed the mushroom head with poly-fill to help hold the shape. To finish up the look, he wore a white onesie, white shorts and brown sandals.
The hardest costume was by far Princess Daisy! I had been looking several weeks for a yellow dress with no luck. So the week before, I purchased a white shirt and a white skirt and dyed them yellow using a box of Rit. After the shirt was completely dyed, washed and dried, I added some lace around the arm cuffs. I then purchased a yd of orange fabric and added the trim around the bottom of the skirt and the 2 half circles at the waist.
For the flower on the shirt, the earrings and the crown, I used foam sheets. For the flower on the shirt, I cut out a large flower and added a large green jewel I found at a craft store. For the earrings the same, except I added a smaller jewel and glued the foam flower to some existing earrings. I was lucky enough to find a gold foam sheet that was completely covered on one side with gold glitter at Hobby Lobby. I shaped the foam sheet into a cylinder and cut triangles off the top to form the points. I added smaller flowers on one side and also added more jewels to finish the look. I then used the glue gun to adhere the crown to an existing headband. I had also purchased white gloves and added lace to them, but I didn’t wear them in the photo.