This was our Halloween costume for 2009 for a ‘Heroes and Villains’ theme event. We wanted to make our own homemade girl ninja turtle costume because we knew there would be tons of people that would have the same costume (because it was such a huge event). Here’s how we made it-
For the main costume piece:
– We started off getting the ninja turtle costumes for kids at Wal-Mart which included the shell (doesn’t matter if it’s all Leonardo or which ever character)
– Then we cut off the pants and pulled the sleeves back and tied it, making it into a tube top.
– We bought matching green skirts and tucked the top in (found at American Apparel).
– For the belt we bought brown fabric and the letter of each character. We took white paper and cut out circles and then stuck the letters in the center. We then just glued it onto the fabric and tied it around our waist.
For the shell:
– The shell that came with the costume was the fabric one and looked too flat so we cut a slit at the top on the inside and stuffed it with cotton to make it look more round.
– We then got fabric colors (orange, blue, purple, and red) and cut out strips and safety pinned them on the inside of the shells (when you wear the shell, it covers the back of your shirt that you tied around your back).
For the mask:
– We used face paint and just followed the shape of our eyebrows and painted it close to the hairline so it would look like a mask. Then apply eye makeup like you normally would.
Finally for the shoes, we all went with what was most comfortable. Some wore flip flops and some wore heels. Hope this helped you with your costume. Good luck!