Fall was in the air, which meant it was time to start thinking of what or who to be for Halloween. As I was starting to come up with costume ideas I was flipping through the channels. I came across the movie, “Where The Wild Things Are”, which is based off an older children’s book. I thought that the character Carol would be a great costume to make, but wasn’t sure if I could pull it off. Luckily this happened in mid-September, which meant that I had time to attempt this homemade Carol from Where the Wild Things Are costume and come up with a backup if it didn’t work out.

I started brainstorming ideas on how I was going to make the head. For this costume the head is what makes or breaks it so I wasn’t even concerned with how I was going to make the body until I had completed the head. My first ideas were to find a large Styrofoam ball or make one out of Great Stuff spray insulation, then just carve out the features. Then a friend who delivered a piece of furniture had a large 1” thick piece of foam pad he used to protect the furniture in is pickup truck. He was just going to throw it away, but I thought this would be a perfect start to my costume.

To keep the costume snug on my head I was just going to use a helmet in the center of it, which was actually the same helmet I had used for my two previous Halloween costumes. Last year I was a Gladiator and the year before that I was Tron, both costumes consisted of the same helmet, which was altered in various ways.

I began by cutting up a small paper model and using tape to find out what shape to cut in order to form the head. Then I drew the pattern on the piece of foam, cut it out and began stitching it together to make the round head. For the nose I used scrap pieces of the foam pad and folded them up in different ways until I was content with a good shape to make the nose.

For the eyes I purchased clear plastic Christmas tree ornaments, which I cut in half and painted the eyes on the inside to keep them glossy on the outside. I purchased some fur at a local fabric store and applied it to the head with spray adhesive.

The head all came together better than I had originally planned at a low cost of only $25. Of course I intended to go out and party during Halloween so I spent an extra $2 to buy pieces so I could engineer a chin strap so the head wouldn’t fall off on the dance floor. I also used materials that would otherwise have ended up in a landfill, which were the helmet and large foam pad.

Fur, paint, 2 plastic Christmas tree ornaments and spray adhesive – 25 dollars.

Strap, two rings, 4 nuts, bolts and lock washers to make a chin strap – 2 dollars.

Creating a homemade costume that was inexpensively made from recycled material that is surely going to be the best costume at the party — Priceless!