My name is Ryan and that's my wife Amanda. Our Homemade Beetlejuice and Lydia Costume story starts off on the Tuesday before Halloween (which was on Saturday). I had the idea of being Beetlejuice and Lydia on Monday. The first thing we had to do is find a 1970 wedding dress which really wasn't hard considering it was at the first costume shop we went to and it was only forty dollars. I had a suit for Beetlejuice at home already.
Then we needed to paint it red because you just cant go out and buy a red wedding dress. So we got some sponges, some true red acrylic paint and some red spray paint then got to work. I laid the dress on a sheet on my basement and began to sponge paint each layer of lace one by one letting each layer dry before I start the next.
While I was watching paint dry I worked on my suit which is a black wool suit. I used duct tape to tape the stripes off setting them 4 inches apart. Duct tape is great for taping off fabric. Then I just used some white house primer, it took two coats to get nice and white and used a black sharpy marker for my mistakes. And the suit was then complete.
Back to the dress. I was finally done painting all of the lace. Next was painting the satin which I did with the spray paint and some acrylic for the front. I also spray painted the inside of the dress which made it look great. Last but not least was hair and make-up. My wife was nice enough to color her hair and tease it up. I took an old man wig, cut it up and glued it so there was more hair on the back of my head and colored it white with some green. I also cut off that stupid bald cap and just shaved my head.
All that was left was make-up and we were done. The best thing about these costumes is that all together we only spent 70 dollars to make a very rememberable night.
Comments for Coolest Homemade Beetlejuice and Lydia Costume 27