I was out at a festival one summer day when I spied a Centaur walking by. I thought to myself, how wonderful would it be to bring that idea home! And perhaps, if I ever come back here, we could become a herd!
So, I returned home and my partner fired up the welder. He created a horse skeleton frame (torso and rear legs only) out of heavy gauge metal rods, and then handed me a roll of chicken wire, bailing wire, and some pliers. I spent the next 3 days covering the skeleton frame with the chicken wire.
I spent too much time making muscles and perfect curves, that were lost as soon as I sewed the fur on.
We then attached some wheels (old wagon wheels… think radio flier) to the two legs.
I took about 40+ hours to sew the fur on. It was very tricky cutting the pieces, hiding the seams, and still having things fit closely. I wished that stretch fur existed during this project! The key is to have fur that is thick enough to hide seams, but not too thick that you won’t want to wear pants made out if it.
I then pulled out the ol’ sewing machine and whipped up a pair of pants that matched the fur on the horse body. I also attached some straps that wrapped around my waist to hold the horse close to me.
For the tail, I matched my own hair. I had just put in extensions (16 hours of sitting! ah!) so I used the left over hair for the tail.
The costume was great, and I even made a shelf inside the horse body to store treats *smile*. I returned to the festival the following year and 2 more Centaurs appeared, so my dreams of becoming part of the herd came true!