I used little figurines as my models to make Cogsworth and Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast Costumes. The main trick is to use fabric fusing to iron on the main fabric to a sheet of foam which is what helps hold the shapes of the costumes. There is basic sewing but I also Velcro and hot glue.
Under each costume, I took a T-shirt and sewed on the sleeves at a diagonal, like a baseball T-shirt, so the sleeves are not actually connected to the costume. Lumiere is actually several pieces. The bottom two thirds is like a skirt. It is held on with suspenders over the T-shirt. The top part was like a backward vest that closed with Velcro in the back. They went to several events when they wore this and after one of the first ones I added the collar (which is what catches the wax) and it looked better.
The candle holders were cuffs that went on with elastic. The flames in his hands were just for the pictures but he didn't carry them when he went trick or treating. The candle head was made of felt fused to a foam sheet. Cogsworth is two sheets of foam on the front and back fused to fabric and regular fabric on the sides. The gold trim on the bottom is painted on the fabric. On both costumes, I was able to add some dimension by adding decorative stitching. Because of the thickness with the foam, this worked well.
The costumes were surprisingly comfortable and kids were able to move around freely in them. They were a huge hit when they wore them!
Comments for Coolest Beauty and the Beast Costumes 7
I feel it is such a privilege to have the talent to make a child feel so unique and special on costume related occasions...Halloween especially!
Four years ago when my little girl was only 3 years old she really wanted to be a princess for Halloween. I am not a huge fan of the wigs and Disney Princess costumes most parents buy for their little girls so I ventured out and decided to make her costume.
Her being brunette we decided to go with Belle from Beauty and The Beast. I found a steal of a deal when purchasing the 8 yards of fabric it took to make the dress and her entire costume ended up costing under $10.
She was definitely the "Belle of The Ball" at the costume party we attended, and with each compliment she would curtsy. Many friends told me that they could tell she felt so beautiful and just like a princess. She has worn the gown over and over again.
Each year we do a group theme for Trunk Or Treat at my friend's Day Care center. This year our theme was Disney Princesses. I decided to go as Belle. After looking for a ready made costume for a few weeks I decided to make my own Homemade Homemade Belle Costume. I searched through second hand stores and yard sales for a dress. I ended up finding a wedding dress with tucks in it and my imagination went wild.
First I dyed the dress yellow. Then, using about 10 yards of golden yellow tulle, I attached two layers of scallops to the dress with safety pins and about 3 yards to the shoulders of the dress. I bought some silk roses and pinned them to the scallops. Aside from dying and dryind time the whole dress took about an hour to make. Because it was all pinned on, it can be taken apart and reused for something else.