This is my daughter dressed as a monster carrying a baby. I used a box as the costume frame. I cut holes in the box for her arms and head. On the back of the box I duck taped a graphite shaft from a golf club (after sawing off the club head). I used cardboard to form the shoulders of the monster and used a stuffed pineapple I found in a thrift shop for the head.
The monster's mask was store bought. I used black fabric to make the monster's gown. For the baby I found a baby outfit at a thrift shop. I stuffed it with fiberfill from a craft shop. I attached hands from a baby doll to outfit with rubber bands. I sewed up the neck of outfit to keep the stuffing inside. I put the box with gown on my daughter so I could mark where her head was. I then cut a hole in the gown large enough for her to fit her head through.
I sewed the baby body to the fabric under where her chin would come out of the gown. We found that the baby body was too heavy for the fabric alone to support it, so I bolted the body to the box frame. The monster's upper arms are stuffed with newspaper for definition and there are holes in the sleeves about halfway down the arms, so my daughter can put her arms inside. Her arms become the monster's forearms and hands.
To finish off the Homemade Monster Abduction Costume I added a pair of cheap sunglasses that my daughter already had to the monster's mask and used a remnant piece of baby themed fabric to create a bonnet.
This costume was made for my son this year (08) so we could enter him into the local Halloween costume contest. Turns out he won 1st place in the scariest category. I had kids and adults asking me who else was in the costume. Little kids were tugging onto his hands and trying to see who was walking behind him. It was great.
I made this costume in the same manner that all the other ones on this site were made with a few exceptions. Here is what we did differently.
I bought a wig head from the local beauty supply place. ($1.98) I put the mask on this. It already had a hole in the bottom of it so my husband fashioned a PVC body that looked like a "T". I then put the long black robe onto it and glued plastic eyeballs on the mask so they looked like they were bulging out. the hardest part was keeping the skeleton from falling over. We taped bags stuffed with other plastic bags to the arms of the PVC to give it some bulk. I then stuffed nylons and attached them to the PVC arms with tape. After that I attached the hands to the nylons with pins. I pinned the hands to my sons jammie top.
If I had it to do over again I would have put wire into the jammie legs so they stuck out more and didn't lay flat on the robe. The rest I pretty much did like the other costumes did. It was a lot of work, but well worth it.
My son and I looked at your website for costume ideas. He liked the Headless costumes and that’s what we were initially going to make. Once we started to make the skeleton kidnapper Halloween costume, we realized he would not have use of his hands so we decided to go for a Skeleton kidnapping him.
We had a Skeleton from the previous Halloween, it was only the upper body with rags flowing down to make it look like it was bigger than it actually was. We used the frame of an old indoor clothes rack to wrap around the skeleton and placed the other end of the frame inside a backpack. An old dress was cut up and used as a cloak between my son and the skeleton’s rags to hide my son’s lower body. A hole was cut between the cloak and the rags to make room for my son’s upper body. His legs are under the cloak. A pair of pajamas were sewn together and the legs and socks were stuffed with grocery bags. The rags were used to tie his fake legs up into a bent (captured) position.
The kids at school were amazed. He had lots of comments on how cool his costume was and I had lots of questions from parents about how it was done.